Challenger 2000 V6 240Efi won´t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrille

Hi. I need you help. Just bought a -00 challenger 2000 mercury v6 240 EFI.
I cant get it to run.
Nothing happens. The engine rotates great but it will not ignite.
I have checked the spark plugs and they are ok. Also checked if i get a spark and thats ok to. The plugs will not get wet. The fuel pumps works the first one from the tank. Is there another pump to? were is it lokated?

Anyone who can help a SWEDE in trouble.

There are actually three fuel pumps on your engine.

Here is a quick run down on how your fuel system is set up.

Low pressure electric fuel pump draws fuel from the tank. Fuel is pumped to the pulse fuel pump on the side of the engine. Fuel then goes through the spin on fuel/water separator filter. From there it enters the vapor separator through the needle valve which is controlled by a float just like an old carburetor. This is where the fuel is mixed with the oil. Inside the vapor separator is the high pressure electric fuel pump with a filter mounted to the bottom of it. This pump then sends fuel to the fuel rail and injectors with the pressure being controlled by a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator. Any excess fuel pressure is bled off by the pressure regulator and returned to the vapor separator.

If you are getting fuel up to the vapor separator there is a good chance that the needle is stuck in the seat. You will have to remove the vapor separator and disassemble it to make the repair. Check Crowely Marine for a parts break down and to order the parts.

Seeing as you are a premium member, download the M2 service manual from the manual library and have a look at the diagram on page 3D-19 for a chart of the fuel system.

Aaron:cheers:

Thank you for the answer

There are actually three fuel pumps on your engine.

Here is a quick run down on how your fuel system is set up.

Low pressure electric fuel pump draws fuel from the tank. Fuel is pumped to the pulse fuel pump on the side of the engine. Fuel then goes through the spin on fuel/water separator filter. From there it enters the vapor separator through the needle valve which is controlled by a float just like an old carburetor. This is where the fuel is mixed with the oil. Inside the vapor separator is the high pressure electric fuel pump with a filter mounted to the bottom of it. This pump then sends fuel to the fuel rail and injectors with the pressure being controlled by a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator. Any excess fuel pressure is bled off by the pressure regulator and returned to the vapor separator.

If you are getting fuel up to the vapor separator there is a good chance that the needle is stuck in the seat. You will have to remove the vapor separator and disassemble it to make the repair. Check Crowely Marine for a parts break down and to order the parts.

Seeing as you are a premium member, download the M2 service manual from the manual library and have a look at the diagram on page 3D-19 for a chart of the fuel system.

Aaron:cheers:

Thank you.. I will check if i have fuel all the way up to the vapor.
I just downloaded the manual so it may help me some more. Is there any fuses to the other pumps? If i would like to check their function what is the best way?
Chrille

Just want to throw this out there....
you do have your lanyard on when your trying to start the boat?
I made that mistake when I first bought the 00 speedster...

Just want to throw this out there....
you do have your lanyard on when your trying to start the boat?
I made that mistake when I first bought the 00 speedster...

Lanyard??? Please tell me what´s that? Do you meen the on/off switch in the engine compartment on the right side if you look from the aft. If i don´t turn it to ON i do not get any power to the starter. If thats what you meen it´s on. If it is something else please tell me.
Or do you meen the emergency stop i put on the knob next to the key? That kill´s the ignition right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaned the boat today with water and and heavy duty cleaner. I might have got some water in the landyard. I don´t get a beep when i turn the key, i read some old thread that said if you don´t get a beep the landyard don´t work.. Can it be that simple? I have the boat inside tonight in the garage so I hope it dry up.
But should it be sparks on the plugs if the lanyard is mailfunction?

I reread your post and yea im talking about the pop off switch..... But I think I chimmed in when I really have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaned the boat today with water and and heavy duty cleaner. I might have got some water in the landyard. I don´t get a beep when i turn the key, i read some old thread that said if you don´t get a beep the landyard don´t work.. Can it be that simple? I have the boat inside tonight in the garage so I hope it dry up.
But should it be sparks on the plugs if the lanyard is mailfunction?

There is no beep with lanyard safety switch on the M2 boats. It's just a plastic cap that holds down safety switch. The ignition key is your anti theft device. And yes, it won't start without switch held down. I guess you can test that switch is working with an ohm meter with at least one wire removed.

After a lot of angry days..

:hurray:Finally found the problem.

The wires to the trigger was dried out and allmost cut off.
With a diagnostics program on a computer it was a piece of cake to foud out what was wrong. But to understand how the engine could run sometimes when the trigger is bad that made me confused.

Found that almost every wire was in really bad condition and with the cord out in the open they grounded the system sometimes..

So thanks for all help and hope someone else can be helped aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back