challenger 2000 has a hole in block how should i go about repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

banks

i just bought the challenger , the owner before says jet drive is good .. just will need a new block

This is the time of year the prices on things jump, if you read a lot here you can disect this and analyze what went wrong, prolly 2stroke fuel leanout burnt a piston and the melted pieces fell into the crankshaft and bent a rod which resulted in pushing a hole from the inside and at that time the leanout became much larger and the motor just coasted to a stop, examine everything in the fuel system first, then proceed to take pictures of everything and label all the hoses so you can remove the engine and get something back in there with integrity and expect it to run again, you may want to go the SBT or Fullbore route to exchange the motor block and while they get that part going you can fix the original problem/s with fuel/oil or it will just repeat itself.

If it is a 2000, Does that mean it has the mercury motor. Good luck with that one. Hope you got it REALLY cheap.

Not sure what your boat has for an engine, but if it's the rotax give SBT a call for pricing, but be sure to tell them your block is shot. Shouldn't be to bad. Now on the other hand if it has the Mercury in it it may not be worth fixing. For a rebuilt power head with no usable core you're going to be looking at around 4-5000 if you do the work yourself.

Aaron:cheers:

Hey - I believe it is the Mercury engine - I have a 2000 challenger 2000.

If you decide to get rid of it/ part it out, let me know I may buy the jet drive, and some other parts...

Best,

Andy

You have a Mercury engined boat. Ideas...

Check Crowley Marine:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/powerheads/mercury_mariner/siz_cylinder.cfm

They are the most prominent Mercury rebuilder I know of. Sort of the SBT of bigger boat engines.

The earlier respondent was correct. A rebuilt powerhead for your engine will be in the range of $4000-6000. These engines are great but if you blow the block things get expensive fast. It may not be worth spending that much on a 10+ year old boat.

Idea: It's often cheaper to buy a replacement engine with a boat wrapped around it. I just watched a Challenger 2000 sell for $5700 on eBay and it was advertised as being in great shape. Lots of boats have significant hull damage after storms, so you might be able to pick up a cosmetically damaged boat for even less - indeed, less than the engine alone would cost!

That would give you an entire engine/jetdrive plus lots of spare parts. It also increases the likelihood that you'll find an engine, because you don't have to find an exact match - anything with your engine is fine. Several models of the Mercury SportJets have been installed in several models of Seadoos and Sugar Sands boats for many years, so there are a lot of them out there.

Finally, I agree with the idea of parting it out if you don't decide to fix it. I'd personally be interested in a few engine components, and possibly even components of the boat itself (I too have a C2K). You could even part out the stuff you don't need if you go the "buy a broken boat for its engine" route, thereby recovering some of the expense.

Report back on what you find and decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back