Challenger 1800 start button mod

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeredJet95

So I recently picked up a 1999 1800 love it!

But I hated the start- stop buttons. After putting in some cool Stainless buttons and them working so well, i though it was time I did a write up.

https://www.amazon.com/Ulincos®-Momentary-Stainless-Suitable-Mounting/dp/B01C7CQHLO?ie=UTF8&psc=1
image.jpeg

So for this mod you can use any push button momentary switch. I used some stainless steel backlit ones that I ordered off Amazon for $8.99.

Materials
Two momentary pushbuttons
Heat shrink variety pack
Waterproof crimp connectors
Wire stripes
Yellow wire
Black wire
Green wire
Soldering gun
Hot glue gun.
step bit, size depends on your switch. Mine where 3/4

Pick out your buttons, I wouldn't go any bigger then a button with a face size an inch. I also got back lit ones witch is why I have 2 additional green wires.

I started by wiring up my buttons, there's really nothing to hard about this. After all the wires where soldered and heat shrank. I used hot glue and a large pice of heat shrink and hot glue to bundle the wires at the bace of the switch.
buttons1.jpg
IMG_4683.JPG
9v was used just to test the LED's

Time to take out your old OEM buttons. Just unscrew the rubber caps and unplug the connector.
Then cut off the connector from the old buttons if you choose to use the plug.IMG_4687.JPG

Cut your new holes, I used a step bit and blue painters tape. Worked great no chips, GO SLOW!!
IMG_4685.JPG

Insert your switches and connect your black bridged wire.

Connect your yellow and black wires to the plug. Then plug it in!

Connect your LED power to a 12v source, black and purple wires on the tac on 1999's. Check with a voltmeter before you go cutting stuff.
buttons2.jpg

Almost done, check over your connections and give it a try. should work, in the most basic form all your doing in making 3 connections.
IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG
Hope you guys enjoy this cool little MOD.

Sorry in advance for spelling I am dyslexic so take it easy...

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to add a remote start button inside my glove box as I am having a "ghost" issue with my ski. I have another good starter solenoid that I will run small gauge wires to and then hop over to the installed solenoid. This will bypass the MPEM and allow the ski to start when the Lanyard is attached. And, it will still allow for the regular STOP button to turn the ski off as designed..

Ok so after ordering some buttons and a quick wire up to see if all would work.

It works perfect, engine stats and stops all with the same button.

I'm going to do a wright up here soon as I get some time.

cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back