Challenger 1800 Leaking Water into Engine Bay... Found location - exhaust port parts?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePallot

Hi Folks,

Would be great to get some help on an engine bay leak I have, summary is:
  • Boat runs great, noticed some cavitation from port side engine on fast turns and always a mild leak in engine bay
  • Boat is on a floating dock, starts up every time, but recently noticed a lot of water in engine bay, original bilge had stopped working so replaced
  • Trying to find the leak, have boat in driveway and have resealed with marine sealant all the through hull fittings I can find
  • Filled engine bay with water, no leaks
  • Put boat in water tied down to trailer. Engines off. Heard water from port engine area going into engine bay - couldn't see exactly where, but could see water ripples were from between the engine and the muffler
  • Location of ripples were in the photo below, near to where the clamps are below
Any ideas where it could be from?

I think the bilge can handle the leak, but given it is on a floating dock I would rather find the sucker.

All tips appreciated
Mike20200717_203755339_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Update: now have a video of where the leak is from and it is right under the engine. Leaks when engine is off or on.

Does anyone know if I can fix or get access without taking the engine out? Anyone know how much a shop would charge for an engine out fix?

Wondering if this is economical or not.

Advice appreciated
Mike

can you please be more specific about your location. i dont think right under the engine is going to mean much to many of us here.

Hi,

Appreciate the feedback and help. Here's what I have: This is at the base of the port engine, near to the starter motor but slightly further aft. There is no hull penetration from what I can see so am guessing water comes out of the engine somehow, in the video (link below) you cannot quite see where it comes from but it looks like this is close to the area.

Seadoo Port Engine leak.jpg

Video is here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkNEg2CotLW8i8w2FHoXMXzd6BgmFQ?e=fydsRQ
All thoughts appreciated.

Mike

More developments. Looks like the leak is coming from near the port exhaust. Found a bolt which had rusted out in the same area as the leak. Really hard to get to as right at the back of the boat.

Anyone had any leaks from here before? Advice appreciated. What should I start doing to source?

if that is the case you will want to take off the exhaust in order to get that repaired properly or replaced. sounds like your boat has been used in salt? you should be able to buy used parts from a lot of different places if you go this route.

More developments. Looks like the leak is coming from near the port exhaust. Found a bolt which had rusted out in the same area as the leak. Really hard to get to as right at the back of the boat.

Anyone had any leaks from here before? Advice appreciated. What should I start doing to source?
Check your donut gasket where your exhaust exits the boat, you can do this from outside the boat, there's a clamp on the pipe and the gasket folds over it to hide the clamp, just unfold it off the clamp and you'll be able to see if the rubber is dry rotted there, I'd bet that's where it's leaking.

Thanks, so checking before I hack at what I think is the donut gasket. This hard rubber thing? Anyone advice on how to remove, it appears fairly well secured?

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Thanks, so checking before I hack at what I think is the donut gasket. This hard rubber thing? Anyone advice on how to remove, it appears fairly well secured?
That looks different than my challenger, mine has the pipe going through it with a clamp, I have the single engine,not sure about yours but with the amount of water that was coming in I thought that would be the area to look at

I have seen pictures of those online. This is a 1998 challenger 1800 with the twin 787's so looks a little different. Makes sense for this to be the problem though.

Last edited:
I have seen pictures of those online. This is a 1998 challenger 1800 with the twin 987's so looks a little different. Makes sense for this to be the problem though.
Ok wasn't sure what engines you had, I just looked online and they looked threaded into something, hard to tell in your picture but it almost looks like a hole near the bottom of the pipe, could just be the picture though

If I read this right: 274000222 Sea-Doo Outlet - Exhaust - AdeptPowersports

The exhaust port (part 31) is held on by the jubilee clip (part 35) and the screw ring (part 13). All held on from inside the boat which is a hassle. I can tighten those up to see if that helps relatively easily.

Seadoo say the exhaust port and the other parts are no longer available. Anyone find any good alternatives..?

If that's the case, should I just marine epoxy/ JB weld it up?

If I read this right: 274000222 Sea-Doo Outlet - Exhaust - AdeptPowersports

The exhaust port (part 31) is held on by the jubilee clip (part 35) and the screw ring (part 13). All held on from inside the boat which is a hassle. I can tighten those up to see if that helps relatively easily.

Seadoo say the exhaust port and the other parts are no longer available.

If that's the case, should I just marine epoxy/ JB weld it up it up?
Does it look like that is for sure where water is coming in? You could try jb weld at least if you epoxy it you will know for sure if that's where your leak is, I'll bet if you look hard enough you would find the parts. I believe there is a place called westside powersports that is highly recommended here for hard to find parts, probably worth a shot. Does it look to you like that is the problem for sure?

I think the first thing I would do is take it apart to see what you have. JB weld sounds like a half a$$ed hack job likely won’t last. In my opinion, A job worth doing is worth doing right. No offense, but If I purchased a boat and found a repair like that, I would be really pissed off. There are scads of parts on the used market. I would look there.

Update:

All fixed
  1. Problem was a mechanic who tuned the engine last year got lazy and only put one jubilee clip on the muffler connected to the exhaust outlet
  2. There were no holes and nothing missing just a poor connection which when the waves went the right direction could lap into the engine bay

A couple of jubilee clips and some bruised ribs later it's all fixed.

Removed the engine bay cover for easier access, learned about refitting that afterwards and now the new owner of some engine bay clips after it locked itself down and needed a crow bar to release.....joy and fun :)

#nomoreleaks
#saved 4 weeks and $1000 estimate from the local mechanic
#thanksforthetipsfolks

Update:

All fixed
  1. Problem was a mechanic who tuned the engine last year got lazy and only put one jubilee clip on the muffler connected to the exhaust outlet
  2. There were no holes and nothing missing just a poor connection which when the waves went the right direction could lap into the engine bay

A couple of jubilee clips and some bruised ribs later it's all fixed.

Removed the engine bay cover for easier access, learned about refitting that afterwards and now the new owner of some engine bay clips after it locked itself down and needed a crow bar to release.....joy and fun :)

#nomoreleaks
#saved 4 weeks and $1000 estimate from the local mechanic
#thanksforthetipsfolks
I'm glad to hear you got it fixed and saved some money too, now you have to take it out and enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back