CDI boxes exchange

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgpbeme

I think my CDI box is being a problem. I have access to one from the same year 1996 my is a gsx it is a xp. I see the xp has a gray wire that the gsx does not. I can't find a wiring dia. for the xp but have one for the gsx.
Can they be swapped they have the same motor.
Ron

Gsx?

Ron, in the manual, the following models are listed. The SP, SPI, SPX, XP, GTS, GTI, and the HX. I don't see a listing for the GSX for 1996.
There are several 3 different motor types for these PWC's of that year. The 500's, the 717 and the 787. There are two different ignition systems, the DC-CDI and the CDI. So if your not matching up the CDI's with the same wiring, then I'd suggest you don't use it. You may damage your electrical system.
The grey wire, if it's the same one I looked at, with a white stripe in it. It sends the rpm data to the mpem.

there is a gtx and a gsx with the 110 hp 787 motor in 96 it is in supplement to the manual They have no reverse but have trim. Has no speedo but 2 rpm gauges. 1 free standing like a speedo one in the control center

Thanks..!

Thanks Ron for pointing that out. I did not notice or look for a supplement on this year manual. I'll look it over for you and see what the differences are. I do still stand by what I posted the first time. If your CDI has 3 wires and the other has 4, then you probably shouldn't attempt to use it. Only because it's obvious that it wasn't designed to be used in the cross-over application.
I will however, go back and look for the supplement and let you know what the grey wire was for.
After finding the answer, I'll come back and edit this post.

To edit this post Ron, I did not find a supplement in our library, so I wasn't able to do any further research as to what I've already posted. Strange for that year, the only ignition system listed for the 787 is the DC-CDI. So I'd be curios to look at the supplemental to find the answer as to why to PWC's of the same year with the same ignition system, doesn't match up?
Let us know what you do and what you find out. I'm very curious about this now. I'll continue to dig around and see if there's anything else I can find!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with seadoosnipe, if the CDI unit has an extra wire you can't just let it dangle or cut it off!!! it has a purpose and the CDI box could be damage if not used, or cause other electrical problems from the CDI box not being compatible. I would sell it on E-bay, and purchase the correct one, than you know it will work!

Found the reason!

O.K...I found the answer for this strange occurance.
There were two different modules used for that year on the 787 engine. The first modules used on the GSX were part# 27800147 but somewhere through the year of manufacture, they changed the ignition system to part# 278000858. So for several GSX and XP's they shared the same module. You obviously have the 2 different types/configurations of modules. If you'd like to check numbers. The GSX's that shared the same module as the XP were GSX PWC's serial numbers ZZNM3126F696 thru ZZNM4115F696 and ZZNM4124F696 thru ZZNM4132F696.
Your answer to my post invigorated me to dig deep. Thanks for the brain stimulation and I hope this answers your question. I would not attempt to cross this over. The replacement cost of this through an online distributer is about $550........ouch:ack:

Thanks

I found all the wiring dia. for the units. The extra wire is for the tach. (gray) For some reason the xp uses a sending unit instead of the CDI for its tach. Everything else is a direct match. I also see some have a different Mag. set up in the same year. Some are the 3 phase with the rectifier having 3 yellow and a red wire. Some seem to be the ones with a charging coil on the mag.
You guys are great helping a stranger like this.
Ron in Arkansas

Welcome Ron

Yeah, like I said in the above post, Seadoo looked like they changed applications in the middle of manafacturing. The grey wire in the manual said that it was for the rpm but is also tied into the mpem and controls the timing curve and the rev limiter....
I still don't think I'd try to cross it over because where I got some of the information no for this research was a parts distributer and with any and all parts I've looked for, when Seadoo uses a mpem, ecu, cdi module etc....they'll use them for several applications and years. It's reflected in the part #.........but the information I found on this was from the mechanics bulletin and looking at the layout, they are different. The DC-CDI is not seperate like the CDI, this is actually part of your mpem......
Good luck!

Heck this forum is one big family!

You guys are great helping a stranger like this.
Ron in Arkansas

Hey Ron, we aren't strangers, we all share the same passion and interest in out seadoos...This forum is all about helping each other, and making the ownership more enjoyable...Let us know if you have any other problems or questions, or you could come back and tell us about the good experiences you have too! We all love to share, and hear from each other.
Karl

My doo has the mpem and cdi separate. The odd thing is the mpem for both units are the same part number. I don't know how everything works but the problem goes back to how it is charging with reverse polarity.. I have read that if you unhook the battery cable while it is running that its still putting out a charge so the power must go somewhere. I will back feed to the charging side and burn out the diodes.

That is where I am lost. The unit runs great everything works till it runs out off juice. It all comes down to how can the polarity get reversed.

Can a rectifier do that Both rectifiers I have read the same reverse polarity on the red wire coming from them before it plugs in to the cdi and back to the charging system

My head hurts from beating it on a wall::ack:

Dc-cdi

It may be possible that you have the DC-CDI system. The CDI system is built into the mpem.
In the old days, before everything went electronic, taking off the battery cable while running was indeed the way we checked the charging system. The battery is only needed/used in starting the motor from dead. Once the engine is running, the magneto system is then where the electrical system receives its power. In newer model engines, and when I say newer I mean post 90 models, removing the positive cable while running can blow the diodes in the charging system.
If you have a full charge in your battery and you can start it and run for a little while and then it goes dead, you try to restart and the battery is completly drained, then yes, your problem lies in your charging system. Which could mean your recfifier is dead or theres a problem in your magneto.
BTW Ron, go to www.Seadoo.com. When the home page opens, look at the title bar for parts. When this opens, click on it and follow the instructions to get to your year and model. Click on the tab for your electrical system. There, you will find an exploded view of your electrical system with the correct part names. Look at this to be sure that what you are writing in your post is about your CDI and not another module. It'll help you to also understand the make up of your eletrical system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back