Carrier Bearing vs. Carbon Seal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

So, in my continuing restore of the 96 Challenger, I just realized I do not have a Carbon seal, instead it appears that I have a needle carrier bearing.

First, should I replace this with a carbon seal? If so what should I be looking out for?

Second, as mentioned in a previous post when I was out last I took on next to no water if at all while under way (until I stopped and just floated around water was coming in through the scupper hose). If the carrier bearing was not good, wouldn't I be taking on water? What steps should I adhere to if I am to inspect this bearing to make sure it's in good condition?

Thanks a lot!

Many like the carrier bearing better but you have to keep it greased.

A few pumps is all it needs. If it fails it will break the fiberglass through hull fitting but they make a repair kit for that.

Many like the carrier bearing better but you have to keep it greased.

A few pumps is all it needs. If it fails it will break the fiberglass through hull fitting but they make a repair kit for that.
How do I know if that bearing is still good or will it show signs if it’s going to fail? I’ll make sure to grease it. I’ll check what kind of grease I need.

Thanks for the reply man

Really no signs its getting bad.

Any waterproof grease is fine.
Ok cool, I have a greaser at home I'll give it a few squirts. But geez, thats super sketchy that thing could just fails and tear the hull open. If that happened on the water you're toast!

I know you mentioned that you should be able to presurize the carbs to 10 PSI and it should stay at that presuization indefinitally. This is the case for the MAG, but the PTO looses about 4 PSI over about 24 - 30 hours. I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. Do you know what seals I should check to see why this would be happening?

My schedule has been slammed so I still had a chance to get them back on. I will try Friday.

Thanks

Not a big deal. I usually only check them for about 10 minutes. That will tell you if you have an obvious leak.

Is it a good idea to replace the carrier bearing with a carbon bearing?

I’m thinking about removing the one on there to inspect it.

And what are your thoughts on this grease for greasing the carrier bearing?image.jpg

That grease should be fine, and the carrier bearings are very reliable if they are greased regularly. I’d leave it in place personally...

That grease should be fine, and the carrier bearings are very reliable if they are greased regularly. I’d leave it in place personally...
I hear you. My concern is I don’t really know what the previous owner did with it. If they were regularly greasing or not. I only had it out a few times for very short tests but once for an hour or so for a longer test. In fresh water not salt and it seemed good. But I didn’t grease right after.

Is there a way to tell;
A. It had been greased from the previous owner.
B. A way to inspect it without removal? I’d imaging I could bring it out again and touch the drive shaft for excessive heat.

If it’s working properly now, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just give it a couple of pumps of grease every few trips out and have fun with it. The carrier bearings do need some maintenance, but they’re not nearly that sensitive... There are quite a few older skis out there that haven’t been greased in years.

If it’s working properly now, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just give it a couple of pumps of grease every few trips out and have fun with it. The carrier bearings do need some maintenance, but they’re not nearly that sensitive... There are quite a few older skis out there that haven’t been greased in years.
Oh wow ok, I feel better about it now. I’ll give it a few pumps once I get home. Is the carrier bearing the only one that needs frequent grease maintenance like this or is there another place I should apply it as well?

There is a zerk fitting on the carrier bearing, and another on the PTO. They should both be greased together...

I gave the carrier a few pumps. It was real tough getting the greaser off the fitting. But I guess the grease got in.

While messing with it I heard clinking sounds where the impeller meets the drive shaft. I looked under the boat and look at the picture of where the shaft meets the impeller. Does this look right?FA6036BB-B66E-429E-BBDB-C04DA4EC29DC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back