Carburetor shaft loose

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mistersolo

Hello,
I've just finished rebuilding the carbs on my 95 spx. Upon assembly, I noticed that the PTO carb butterfly shaft flops around quite a bit. I'm pretty sure the bushings are shot on the butterfly on the linkage side.

Has anyone rebuilt the throttle shaft on the carbs before? I see the kits available for purchase. Is it possible without seeing a machinist to have the work done?

I believe the carbs are sbn38i.

Thanks,
John

So I figured the carb was no good with the worn out throttle shaft, so I ended up taking it apart. It came apart ok. I needed to dremel down the back of the screws protruding from the back of the throttle shaft which hold the throttle plate. I had some difficulty getting the throttle plate removed and I scratched the throttle plate up a little, but I made sure the carburetor bore stayed virgin.
I ended up prying with a pick between the plastic bushings and the carb shaft bore. The bushings cracked lengthwise and then were very easy to remove. The new kit comes with a throttle plate and bushings, so I'm not too worried about the carnage that happened during removal.

The bad bushings are pointed out below. I'll have to wait for the parts to come in, the parts are Mikuni, so I'm hoping for a trouble free installation.

Attachments

• bn38 bushings.JPG
    bn38 bushings.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 29
Make sure you use red loctite on the screws since you can’t stake them like the factory and if they fall out they’ll destroy the engine.

I hate taking those screws out, most snap when I try. I always use red loctite and I use a slightly longer screw from ACE and used vice grips to really booger up the threads so they wont back out.

Make sure you use red loctite on the screws since you can’t stake them like the factory and if they fall out they’ll destroy the engine.
Use a transfer punch on the side of the screw to dink the threads. Again, with red loctite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back