Carbs leaking.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been working an issue after doing top end on a 96 gtx. Along with the top end I attempted to rebuild my carbs. I used OEM kit from osd. I replaced both springs in both carbs because they weren't correct ones installed. This was all done prior to carb rebuild how to so I missed a few key points. My question is this..... if both carbs fail the leak down test of 10 psi for 30 seconds 1) would that affect pop off which is currently at 21 psi and 2) what might the culprit be? I think the only thing that is not new in both carbs are the jets, needle lever and the round o-ring. Just for further info when I attempted the pop off test I did wet the needle and first test was at 21 psi and pressure dropped to about 7 psi. Then 2nd attempt around 21 psi i could hear the wd40 bubbling under the paper towel but no pop off occurred. I am thinking of getting new levers and the round o-ring but not sure if that will fix my problem or just get a whole new rebuild kit and try again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello from Phenix City, AL. The dual Mikini OEM kit I just purchased had the new lever and pivot bar for the spring, but I had to buy the 80 gram blk spring separately. Your rebuild kit didn't have it? Same here, my 97' GTX had the wrong spring installed. I didn't read that you replaced the needle/seat, which is purchased separate. Which oring are you referring to? The high and low jets under the block should just get a good cleaning and put back in. I can't speak on the pressure test yet, my carbs were bad, I just did the rebuild procedure this past week and hope to pressure test and install them this weekend. Water test within the next couple weeks...

They didn't have that kit when I did my rebuild a while back so mine didn't come with new lever but did include needle and seat. The o_ ring I am talking about it the large round one. I forget where it goes exactly at the moment.

Get the Genuine Mikuni needle and seats. 1.5 and the black springs. Your pop off will be about 37psi and the needle will reset at around 30psi. Genuine.... they are pricy about $40 for both.

I've been doing this carb dance for months and finding my way. On my GTXs, I have two 96 and 97, I have pulled and gone though the carbs about 6 times between the 2 skis trying to tweak them. I found that the pop off at the low end causes the ski to run rich and both mine had trouble accelerating on the low end to about 4k RPM. I raised the pop off to 27psi and that helped one of the skis significantly but both got better and smoother acceleration to 4k. I replaced with Mikuni needles and seats with the black springs and both skis carbs went to 37psi. I found that the higher to pop off pressure the quicker the needle re-seats. It makes sense.

That said now I have a lean issue on my 96 ski since the pop off is high. I suspect the fuel pump discs may not be seating properly and with the higher pop off I need to get some Revs to get the needle off the seat. Without fuel it won't revv.... LOL The throttle response on both skis is much more crisp and I got another 130 RPM up high on the 96. I'm pretty sure my wife's ski got better too but I don't ride it. I still can't catch her so her's must have improved also. I might have to resort to cheating to make my ski faster which is not beyond me. If you ain't cheating, you're not trying hard enough to win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back