Carb Adjusting Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhjesse

First of all, if anyone has already done this then disregard..

Rebuilt the carbs on the Challenger 1800. After completing the task I cranked the engines and checked everything to make sure there were no leaks or if I had forgotten something. All good no problems so off to the lake.
Got the boat in the water started the engines and idled out past the no wake zone. While accelerating the engines, it became apparent that some carb adjustment would be required. Back to the dock, popped the lid and removed the air box to make adjustments. While upside down in the engine bay with sweat dripping in my eye trying to find the damn low speed adjusting screws with a mirror, screwdriver and flashlight in hand, I started thinking there must be a better way to do this. After the 4th time the tip of the screwdriver fell off the adjusting screw combined with turning it the wrong way trying to hurry before all my blood rushed to my head, I decided enough is enough, loaded her up and went home.
On the way home I was thinking (I know...scary right) about how to keep the tip of the screwdriver from falling off the adjusting screw. I could just reach in and adjust with my fingers, but they are too fat, so I need some sort of tool.
After looking around the shop I came upon some old 1/4 inch drive sockets. Bingo!! The 1/4 inch size fit perfect on the screw with little play. Ground a slot in the top of the socket and attached it to driver. Works perfect...much easier and lets me be more accurate. Sorry for the long boring description. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 91
Hummmmm....

I'm divided on this one....

First... very good idea, and I'll probably make one for myself.

BUT...

I've rebuilt 100's of carbs while I had my shop open... and I can say, with 100% certainty... Seadoo's will run spot on, at the "Factory" settings, if things are right. So, if you need an adjustment, something isn't right. (sorry)

Hummmmm....

I'm divided on this one....

First... very good idea, and I'll probably make one for myself.

BUT...

I've rebuilt 100's of carbs while I had my shop open... and I can say, with 100% certainty... Seadoo's will run spot on, at the "Factory" settings, if things are right. So, if you need an adjustment, something isn't right. (sorry)

Yes Dr. Honda my carbs were very close right out of the gate, I just needed to make a small adjustment, but it was a pita. Just wanted to make it easier to "fine" tune while performing the all important and advertised water testing. Thanks for the input.

THANKS!! Clever idea and I am making one. With arrestors and minor mods I think it requires some adjustments to be safe.....stock may not be acceptable.

Awesome idea ....tanks for shareing .....how does that lenght work???would it work better if the nut driver was shorter??

Some people, ( I think Lou started it) use a small length of fuel line, it fits over the thumb screw part on the needle. If the hose is long enough then it's easier to reach. I think he leaves it on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back