Can't get the Impeller off!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonH

I finally found the impeller removal tool, but now I can't get the thing to budge. First I tried a large breaker bar I have, next was the impact. I have even put some penetrating oil then tried again later with no luck. As a last resort I heated the inside up slightly to hopefully free any loctite that may have been used previously. From what I've read it is standard threads...am I correct? Any other tips or tricks to try?

Thanks,

Brandon

It's standard threads.

You have to put the shaft in a vice that is well secured to a table, and just use a LARGE bar on it if need be.

If you plan on reusing the impeller... do not use an impact on it. You may damage the splines.

Also... since you've used heat on it... plan on replacing your seals.

I strap the pump to my work table with a ratchet strap, and use a crescent wrench on one side and a long breaker bar, 3 foot to break it loose.

Should be:
use a crescent wrench on one side and a long breaker bar on the other side, 3 foot to break it loose.

OK, I finally got the impeller off and the wear ring changed out. Now the problem I am having is when I put the impeller back on I have no back and forth play and it will not spin. Is there a washer or 0-ring that is supposed to go on behind the impeller?

-Brandon

For some reason it won't let me edit my post.

After further review I am pretty sure the part missing is SKU: 293200025
Double Lip Seal. I've looked everywhere thinking it fell off and rolled under my work bench or something else in the garage, but I can't find it. Am I looking at the right part? I need to find out, so I can start calling first thing in the morning trying to find it in stock at a local shop.

Thanks,

Brandon

The double wiper seal shouldn't just fall off the pump. It's pressed into the houseing and sealed with loctite 518 to keep water out of the oil. If it has fallen off, something is wrong.
Are you sure it's missing or has fallen out?

The double wiper seal shouldn't just fall off the pump. It's pressed into the houseing and sealed with loctite 518 to keep water out of the oil. If it has fallen off, something is wrong.
Are you sure it's missing or has fallen out?

Now that I've looked even further, it is pressed in. I was going by the online parts diagram and was thrown off. Is there a bushing or something that goes on before the impeller? If not any ideas why it doesn't spin after tightening.

-Brandon

Does your pump use a thrust bearing and washer? If so, sometimes the washer gets hung up while installing the impeller. Back it off and make sure the washer fits properly into place before re-tightening. Is your impeller contacting the new wear ring? It may not spin freely until the wear ring is seated by revving the engine with the pump installed.

I know it's late, but I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't figure this thing out. After removing the cone the impeller would still not spin, so I removed it and checked everything over. After toying with it for a while I got it to spin again and gently installed the cone to make sure it seated properly. The entire pump is bolted back together and on the boat, waiting until morning to fire it up since my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it after midnight:D Then it will be Thursday or Friday before I can get it to the lake to put it to the true test.

Thanks again for all the help. I don't feel so bad now when I do it again in the future.

-Brandon

yup, notice that yuo need to pull on the impellor, when installing the cone, or it'll pinch and bind ur up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back