Can you wake surf behind a Wake Pro 230?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dall

Hey I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has tried wake surfing behind their PWC? Would putting a wake shaper on my PWC help it spit out a sufficient wake? Thanks! P.S. idk if this is the right place to ask, so sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong place!

I had the same idea and decided to try loading up my GTR215 with some ballast using a pair of 250lb Sumo-Sacs I had swapped out of my wake boat. I tossed one bag in each foot well and then used a ratchet strap hooked on both sides over the top of the seat to hold the bags from sliding around too much. I estimate I only added about 400 lbs as the bags did not fill to full capacity because they were wedged down in the footwells. Combined with a 275lb driver, it put out a wake that looks big enough for a small rider to surf behind, but we have not had a chance to try it yet with an actual surfer.

Intrigued by the idea, I proceeded to build a wedge that will pull the back of a pwc down similar to what Malibu puts on their wake boats. The first try was a little large and slowed the PWC down too much (10 MPH max speed at nearly full throttle). It did pull the back 1/3 of the PWC completely under water, so that is about the most displacement the boat can make. The wake was maybe large enough to surf a small rider,. I might need to put some ballast in the front to even things out when using the back wedge as the nose was pretty high.

You can find some videos of people surfing behind PWCs on Youtube. The two I saw just had a rider and a passenger on the PWC without any other ballast. They leaned to one side to shape thewave a bit.

Thanks for the reply! Let me know if you get a chance to try out the wake for yourself! I'd love to get a surf boat sometime in the future, but if I can do it behind a Sea Door I'd rather save the $$. Thanks again!

Here is a pic of the setup. 250 lb Sumo-Sac in each footwell and the surf wedge I fabricated clipped to the rear tie-down loops (in use in deeper water, it pulls down more at about an 80 degree angle). Going to try it out today as soon as the weather improves.

PWCSurfWedge.JPG

Another view of the wedge in the stowed position (without the ability to retract the wedge out of the water, its slow going to get home at 8-12 MPH top speed).
PWCSurfWedge2.JPG

The wedge turned out to still be too much drag even at the lower angle. Needs some more adjustment. So we ditched that and tried with just the ballast. With just the ballast, the driver, and passenger, we were able to get an almost-surfable wave at about 12 MPH, but its still not really going to be suitable for any kind of a beginner or smaller skim style board.

Last edited:
Also looking for ways to enhance the wake behind my ski... congrats on being creative. Any chance there's a video of the wake?

Nice work!

Reactions: JKU
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back