can you pull a wake without a wake tower?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy4h2o

Getting a 2011 speedster which does not have factory built wake tower. Dealers are telling me it costs a fortune installing one later vs going with one that has it factory built because you have to cut holes in fiberglass amd add reinforcement. Is this true?

I'm new to this and for now will pull kids on tube but when they get older for sure will want to do wake and was thinking maybe its ok to pull wake wihout tower? is it possible?

Thanks!

btw just found this forum, really helpful. thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

then I believe they are correct, all you have for towing is the telescopic tube behind the seats, but that will not hold a wake boarder. Never personally looked into it myself but try pricing out an aftermarket tower for your boat...never buy anything from the dealer...especially living in Canada!!! I priced out a bimini top for my 07 speedster150 at a local dealer near Lake Simcoe, they quoted me $800 plus install....I called a dealer in NC that was recommended to me and they priced me $360 shipped!! The funny thing is that they are manufactured in Montreal so the NC dealer had it direct shipped to me so didn't even have to pay any customs charges!!! Good luck!!

The factory telescoping tow hook works just fine for a wakeboard. I've heard of them bending on some of the older boats, but mine is a 2005 and no issues with a tube or wakeboard hooked to it. In fact I just taught a220lb guy to board last week, if it was gonna bend, it woulda happened then. Lots of stress on there when the boarder can't Get out of the water quickly!

I have never heard of the pole bending. I had my Sportster 4-tec for almost three seasons and that is about all i did was Wake board without ever having the first problem. I never even gave it a thought. I now have a tower and the biggest difference comes when you have the rope tied higher mainly keeping it out of the way and enabling you to see it better behind the boat. The main function of the tower is to get the rope up higher so you can, in theory, jump higher. I really like my tower and just added a wake board rack to it, which makes it even nicer to get everything off the floor of the boat. If it worries you too much about the pole bending, you could just leave it down and use it that way.

I am not even sure how you would install a tower after the fact on this model, but I would be willing to bet that the reinforcement is already there. The problem is that there are no access holes to get to the deck area for any necessary thrubolts. I, myself have wondered if anyone has cut any holes in the deck, maybe behind the seat cushion or some other inconspicuous place. Even for an extra storage hatch area. The big drawback I see about this is that it would take away from the strength of the deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about kneeboarding? I have the tower and the pole and just ordered a kneeboard. What is best to use, the tower or the factory pole?

I guess that depends on how high you want to jump. I would use the tower for the kneeboard, as it is just about the same thing as a wakeboard, just on your knees.

I now have a tower and the biggest difference comes when you have the rope tied higher mainly keeping it out of the way and enabling you to see it better behind the boat. The main function of the tower is to get the rope up higher so you can, in theory, jump higher.

I thought the main point of the tower was to pull the rider UP and forward as opposed to just forward, enabling the rider to stand up more easily.

I use to get up on my wakeboard and kneeboard off the transom hooks the ski pole is like a dream, so really its all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back