Can u supercharge a 2 cycle 1800 challenger 97'

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some may disagree… but boosting (turbo, supercharger) is not a good idea on 2 strokes. Well… gas 2 strokes of this nature.

In essence, your Rotax engine already is super charged. When the intake charge is brought into the lower half of the engine… it is under vacuum. As the piston travels down, the air/fuel charge in the lower half is compressed, building boost pressure. Then, when the intake port is exposed via piston timing… that air/fuel charge is blown into the cylinder. When you use boost pressure on this type of 2 stroke…you create more pressure in the lower half than it was design for… and in turn, you can split open the con rod journal on the crank shaft. Not to mention… since it is a 2 stroke, and the intake, and exhaust ports are open at the same time… you will just wind up pushing a lot of fuel out the exhaust.

With this said… yes, it can be done, and yes, it will make more power, but at the expense of wasted fuel, and very short engine life.

Oh… one other thing… if you make too much pressure in the lower half… you can actually auto ignite the air fuel mix, making for one hell of an explosion.

There are a lot of large 2 stroke Diesel engines that are supercharged, but they don’t introduce pressure to the lower half of the engine, and they inject very stable fuel directly in the combustion chamber at high pressure, so there is no chance of explosion.

Just my 2 cents… hope it helps.

Short answer, I don't see why you couldn't.
Real answer, I don't see why you would.

By the time you're done investing time and money into it, you could buy a more powerful engine and drop it in there.

It's been tried in the early 90's on Kawasaki 650's. They made good HP but kept blowing out seals.

Chester

Attachments

• JetSki Blower.jpg
    JetSki Blower.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back