Can I purchase a very fast Jet Ski (PWC) for $1000?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across a picture of a friends KustomKraft that he said was his first real fast ski. He said he bought it back then for $10 dollars and a 12 pack of beer!....

WOW! That thing looks like something James Bond would have driven in the original .007 movies! Kinda cool though, seeing where it all began. Remember the ones that had a snowmobile ski on the front for steering? BTW, there was a 2000 GP1200R that went for $1150 on Ebay last year, in great condition... I suppose it was due to poor listing, but no reserve means SOLD!:cheers: Wish I had gotten it... nice little ski for the girlie! No reverse, but then again I am still looking for the reverse on my XP. :cool:

My openion is for $1000.00 this is the wrong time of year to get a deal. anything running is going to be over $1000.00 and that means 587 657 models.

You can get an xp 787 in the $2000.00 range just sold a 97 XP for $2222.00 but to go fast you need to start at the 1999 and up xp 951's (I know they made them in 98 but had motor problems.) for that you are looking $3500.00 and up.

If you arent in a hurry, save your $$$$ and buy at the end of the season next year. You will have more $$$$ and get a better deal.

Someone once said the value of a PWC is dependant on two factors.... How hot it is outside and how close it is to a holiday weekend...

Very well said......

:agree:We've often said and seems everyone knows, the best time to buy in the watercraft world is in the fall or winter........now, the price is up two fold.

The only thing that might help you get a deal now is the economy. People aren't spending on toys when times get tight. So dealer inventory, sits around and the pricing gets real creative. I sell more used vehicles now than the expensive new ones.

I got a killer deal on my '92 XP on January 3rd of this year. He was asking $1000 and I got him down to $925. I was freezing my butt off as I test drove it on Lake Travis. I bought it from the original owner who took exceptional care of it and it runs beautifully now. Couple of scratches here and there of course but otherwise a lot of fun for $925. I bought a used jon boat trailer for $175 and converted it for PWC use and it works great.

There are some good deals out there. You have to be in the right place at the right time.

Karl

Well i got my 92 XP for free, but it needs a new engine and then it will run perfect and the engine will cost around 800 shipped. so for 800 bucks its a good deal and stoked to ride it. im only 15 so for my first doo its sick!

i picked up a 93 xp and a 93 sp yesterday both for 1200 with titles,
i think the xp has a new motor as you can eat off it,

they both run but the need carb work,
and they are about mint condition,

and for down here in florida that is rare

they both need some carb work im assuming since i can squirt some premix down the carb and they fire up instantly,

got do dig into it alittle but they are super nice

It sounds like you need to remove the carburetors and clean them. If you're careful and don't tear or damage the diaphragms you won't need to buy a rebuild kit. Pay attention to the internal filters too. If you have gray fuel lines you need to replace them with black fuel lines available from auto parts stores like Auto Zone. Measure the length you need and bring a sample with you so you get the correct size. Replace one at a time so you don’t get them mixed up. If you need clamps replace them too. Use small stainless steel clamps also from the auto parts store. Do you have a seadoo shop manual? If not here’s an idea for you. You could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and private use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too. Premium members get priority when it comes to getting quick detailed answers.

Karl

I got my 95 GTS (not really what I would call a very fast ski though) with trailer for $900 from a friend. It runs great but was not very eye appealing. So, I recovered the seat, removed the decals, painted some parts on it, and applied new decals that I had made and it looks like a whole new PWC for just over $1,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deals are out there, you just need to look..

I just talked to a guy that bought his like new '03 XPDI with a trailer for $3500. I know thats out of your price range but it just goes to show that there are good deals out there but they take some time to find. He spent a year and a half looking for that deal..

If you only have $1000 to spend and want something "very fast" then your going to be disappointed. I would say anything you find for that is not going to be that quick. I think you should wait save up a bit more $$ and look for a '95 or '96 XP. Definatly good started skis and when tuned right can still "rock and roll".

Heres a '96 XP
1996%20XP.jpg

-Blake

Last edited by a moderator:
$1000 will get you an X4 hull with the 787 engine. seadoo has not bettered the power to weight ratio yet... except with supercharged motors. 96-7 XP or SPX.

i got a 94 kawi 750 ss that runs great ..it will do about 37-40 with a 125lbs rider.....nice trailer and one life jacket....ready to go the the lake for 1350.00.....not as fast as my xp but it was agood starter ski and better than your buddy who is asking you to ride your ski....not a smoking fast boat but it will get you wet and not break the bank....lol

I just got a 95 XP about a month ago for $1000. The original 720 had been swapped for a rebuilt 580, so it is a lot slower than it should be. Its my first ski though, and the most important thing is that I can take it out and have fun. I'll get a really fast one later when I can spend more money. You can find a ski for $1000 dollars, just keep looking.

Just look around man. I waited a few months and found a 97 spx with the 800 motor in it for 900 bucks with trailer. It is a clean ski and all but I did/do have to put some money into it. Like I bought it knowing it needed a mpem but still for 900 bucks that aint bad. The only other thing I have to put on it before the vts stops working is a new gauge bec the vts works but the gauge doesnt so it will start pooping fuses soon i bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back