Can I pull my 240 efi motor out of my Islandia with an auto engine hoist?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I attempted to pull the engine out of my 2004 Utopia with an engine hoist. It has a Optimax 250 DFI but I think the engines are similar. I wasn't successful. I found a guy with a bobcat on a trailer to help me pull it out. The issue is as others have described in these forums is the engine first needs to be pulled straight up, this is the key, enough to clear the studs and the spindle coming out of the jet drive and next moved forward a bit toward the bow of the boat to clear the hatch. When I used the engine hoist, I placed it at the port side of the boat. I extend the hoist as far as it could reach. You don't need to have it in the 2 ton position since the engine weighs about 300 lbs. It still didn't reach far enough. I was able to raise the engine but not enough to clear the spindle since the hoist was not moving the engine straight up. Maybe it would have worked if the boat wasn't on the trailer? It took 10 minutes to remove with the bob cat without the shovel portion attached. I plan on putting back the same way. Hope this helps.

I’m concerned about the reach over the swimstep.
I plan to buy a Harbor Freight 2 ton.

2001 Islandia

Yes you can. But get one with the longest reach. I rented the one I used. For my pull, I leveled everything out, lifted motor a little and then tided the back end on to the lift arm. The rear of the motor is heavier then the rest.

Last edited:
Almost 99% certain that's how Doc Honda did it. He's got a thread here somewhere on his rebuild

If it doesn't reach, you can try using a block/tackle. They're usually cheaper than an engine hoist, and stow easier. You'll have to find something sturdy to hang it from obviously. For all my skis and 4tec motors, I used a 1500lb trailer winch bolted to a wall, running through a pulley attached to a beam in the ceiling. Worked like a charm (until I moved out of that house :( )

Sorry for the delay guys...so I got the motor out...however, the hoist was about ten inches shy on reach. Myself and my buddy used a 4x4 piece of lumber through the eyes of a 4’ lifting sling and manually lifted it straight up and out...then we hooked into the hoist and let it take over....worked out fine.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back