Can I charge my battery safely with my battery charger on my 2016 GTX 300 while battery is connected to electrical system

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Rodsafety

Hi All.

Can I charge my battery safely with my battery charger on my 2016 GTX 300 while battery is connected to electrical system of the PWC? I do not want to screw up anything on the PWC, The sticker on the PWC says "remove battery from boat before charging", Im not sure if this is to prevent a possible fire or if connecting a battery charger could cause damage to the PWCs computer etc? Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated Thanks

It should not be an issue at all, I would just use an automatic float charger. You could also just disconnect your negative lead for ease of mind.

Definitely a no no, many a ECM has been damaged from onboard charging, at the very least disconnect the battery from the electrical system.

Definitely a no no, many a ECM has been damaged from onboard charging, at the very least disconnect the battery from the electrical system.
Thankyou very much. I will disconnect both leads first to be sure. On another question; do you know how many volts 'Max" the engines charging system puts out because I read somewhere that the engines charging system really just maintains the battery and is not a "true charger" seems a bit odd and Im not sure that I believe that statement.

The engines charging system is not meant to charge a dead battery as there are other needs while the engine is running , you should be around 13.5 - 13.8 volts while it's running with a good battery.

The engines charging system is not meant to charge a dead battery as there are other needs while the engine is running , you should be around 13.5 - 13.8 volts while it's running with a good battery.
Hi OK, Understood that is a Decent Volt Level to maintain all, Thanks Again for your assistance, appreciated. MY battery is one month old now, but my GTX will sit for a few more weeks so this is why I started this thread regarding charging. My resting voltage in my battery right now is 12.8v which seems ok considering I had mt GTX out 2 weeks ago.

Hi Skiasylum, OK thanks again that is lots of Volts
That's peak voltage at 5500 RPM, it will vary between 13.5 and 14.5 +- .5 from 2000 - 5500 RPM, 14.5 v is the the regulated max voltage. If you test more the regulator is bad, if you test less its a magneto, coil or rectifier issue.

Back