Buying for the first time EVER - need help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newps

Hey everybody looking to buy a pair of Sea Doos for the fist time and would love some help. Let me give you all some background.

Wife and I are in our mid 40's with FIVE children. We ar all active, love the outdoors and water sports. Oldest kid is 19 and youngest is 10. I have been a boat owner for the better part of 20 years. Kids love skiiing, tubing and wake boarding. Last summer we bought our first cabin and the kids have tried to convince me this winter that we need jet skis. Not one but two...

So the search has begun. I am somewhat familiar with PWC's as my brother has owned 2 for several years and have driven them over the years. However not an expert by any means.

I have been in full-on search mode for the last few weeks and have seemed to zero in two different Sea Doo models. Based on what I feel would be best for the family and reviewing the Sea Doo website,, I am drawn to either the GTR 215 or the RXT 260 and would like to lean on the experts here for the pros and cons of each.

I am guesing the kids will drive these the majority of the time but my wife and I will hopefully get some time periodically. Our usage will be mainly recreational on a large chain of lakes in Minnesota. We have access to over 7000 acres of water so we should be able to ride long distances for an entire day. As I mentioned before, probably looking to buy two and looking for new rather than used. Outside of general recreational riding, some skiing would be nice too although my fish and ski boat will serve as the work horse there.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

So are we talking Tonka, or Crosslake? ;)

Superchargers take on some extra maintenance; Seadoo keeps saying they have it figured out, but ask anyone...they need to be rebuilt every 75-100 hrs. That costs roughly $500 every time it needs to be done. If you were to have a failure it usually takes out the motor which isnt cheap.

Non SC machines dont quite have the snap that the SC machines have but no $500 bill every couple of years.

If you are thinking new...the only place to go is St. Boni Motorsports. National Seadoo Watercraft dealer of the year!

I LOVE my SC'd RXT-X. I will never own another ski without a SC.

I have had my ski'a for three years and have not had a single issue short of a hydraulic shear bracket break.

That said, I am very anal about my toys. They are still in like new condition and I have not hit 100 hrs yet.

I also own a 155 ski (no SC). It is a great ski, especially for beginners and guests who come riding with me. But I can't give up my SC ski. It is so strong that it shocks me every time I ride.

I LOVE my SC'd RXT-X. I will never own another ski without a SC.

I have had my ski'a for three years and have not had a single issue short of a hydraulic shear bracket break.

That said, I am very anal about my toys. They are still in like new condition and I have not hit 100 hrs yet.

I also own a 155 ski (no SC). It is a great ski, especially for beginners and guests who come riding with me. But I can't give up my SC ski. It is so strong that it shocks me every time I ride.

I have to agree with Joe on this one. I love my SC. There's just something about that feeling of the acceleration and the speed that I can't live without. But it really depends what you are looking for your ski to do.

My only complaint about my ski is the minute storage space. I've had to be very creative.

I think the extra cost of maintaining the SC is well worth it in the fun department. My advice is buy the most powerful one you can afford because you don't always have to go flat out 70mph. They also cruise real nice and when you want to blast out and hit top speed you can. With a non supercharged ski you can still cruise and run fairly quick but the top end and acceleration just isn't there with no way to really add it. The RXT 260 gets my vote or RXT-X if budget allows.

Yup just keep it in mind if you are buying a used ski.

The big thing with the supercharger is just not reving when the hull pops out of the water. What happens is the supercharger winds out then that sudden jolt to the RPMs when it catches water makes the supercharger "clutch" (series of thrust bearings and washers) slip. Things get really hot and start to break down over time.

If you are getting two, maybe consider one of each.

Main thing if you buy used is to always water test the machine! Running it on the hose proves nothing! Look online and see what normal WOT RPM is and top speed before you test ride. I always take my phone and turn on the Motion GPS app to look at top speed. If its cold out a supercharged 4-tec should hit 8000 rpm. Subtract about 150 to 200 rpm if its blazing hot. Be sure to compare prices of new and used machines. In KY some people are asking crazy money for there barely used 2011's when you can buy a 2013 brand new for a few hundred more or less money. I personally would probably get the GTR if I were to buy a brand new one. I was looking the other day and a place in Lexington KY had 13's listed in the low 9's brand new. Hard to beat that.

Last edited by a moderator:
With 5 kids stay away from SC models. Only asking for trouble, accidents, higher fuel costs, insurance etc.
Funny how there are way more SC skis for sale than the non SC models. A 155 has plenty of power

I have 2011 gtx 155 and new rxp x there are pros and cons for both to give you example spent 7 hours up the river was towing tube behind the 155 younger kids had a ball while the older18+ kids rode the rxp x. The 155 used full tank of fuel 60 ltr the rxp x 100 Ltrs of fuel. I will not let my 14 year old ride the supercharged rxp x too fast. Even I find that ski performance is far better than my riding ability. I am in my mid 40's and when I first rode it it was like WOW..

Good tips everyone. After reading many of the posts I became concerned about my kids driving a SC machine. Wouldn't have thought about that prior to asking the forum. It probably makes most sense to stay away from a SC for obvious reasons. I have shifted my focus to the 155.

Very helpful information everyone! Thanks!

Good tips everyone. After reading many of the posts I became concerned about my kids driving a SC machine. Wouldn't have thought about that prior to asking the forum. It probably makes most sense to stay away from a SC for obvious reasons. I have shifted my focus to the 155.

Very helpful information everyone! Thanks!

One thing you may not be aware of is, the lanyard. You should get two of them. One is programed to run unlimited and the other stops the ski at approximately 32 MPH.

Simply do NOT let them have the unlimited lanyard (key).

My point is, if you want the SC ski get it. You can protect them via the lanyard...

One thing you may not be aware of is, the lanyard. You should get two of them. One is programed to run unlimited and the other stops the ski at approximately 32 MPH.

Simply do NOT let them have the unlimited lanyard (key).

My point is, if you want the SC ski get it. You can protect them via the lanyard...

Very good point. I forget all about the learner/beginner lanyard that seadoo offers standard with all their machines. You get a yellow key which is your "fun" key and a while key labeled learner's.

Very good point. I forget all about the learner/beginner lanyard that seadoo offers standard with all their machines. You get a yellow key which is your "fun" key and a while key labeled learner's.

My 09 and 2010 are green keys for the "learner" and yellow for the "hang on" mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back