Broken torx - rideplate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondnic

Just finished winterizing my Challenger 1800. Problem is when reinstalling the ride plate, one of the two torx screws sheared off. Any idea how to get that one out so that I can replace it? Easyouts?

For some reason I can’t find the thread right now but this has been discussed before. We almost ran into this same problem is the only reason I know. I’ll keep searching and reply back when I find it. Unless Dr. Honda replies first. LOL
BTW - do you have one of the extended ride plates from Aquaman? We had one on our Challenger and we have one for our Islandia now. We LOVE IT!

Thank you. I did a search too, and came up empty.

I’m sure the screws on mine are the originals. This one sheared off without much torque at all. Whenever I figure out how to get the broken one out, I’m going to replace both of them. It’s fall in Michigan, so I’ve got plenty of time. Lol.

Don’t have one of the extended plates, but may pick one up next season if he still has them.

Last edited:
As I recall there was a long (heated-lol) conversation because someone suggested replacing the torx with bolts but of course the heads would hang below.... I was attempting to read through the arguing. We were lucky enough that it did not shear off but the torx head was almost stripped. He used a larger bit with an impact wrench (not impact air but a tool you hit with a hammer) and lots and lots of PB Blaster.

Those are in with a "permanent" type thread locker. The only way to break them loose is to get them hot. Since you broke one already.... get a little torch, and heat them up. It takes upward of 350F to break it down. Once you do that... you can get out the good bolt, and take off the ride plate. From there... there should be enough of the broken bolt hanging down to grab with pliers and twist it out. (make sure to heat that one too)

As far as the replacements... just use a countersunk stainless bolt.

Yup, same thing happened to me. We ended up using ez outs, (failed) and drilling it out (bigger failure) but filled the opening, drilled and tapped it for new bolts.

Some ended up using a bolt all the way through. Not sure how that worked out. Mine worked out just fine and used new hardware with a bit more beef to them.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back