Boat stuck in forward!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabadiesel

Took the boat out this weekend and broke the handle that allows you to position forward and reverse right off in my hand. Would not have been a big deal if I would have had the boat already started so I manually put in natural started it and manually pit it in forward but must have broke the cable as we'll in the process. Made it back to the boart ramp so I am happy.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the forward reverse and I guess the throttle as well as they seem to be one part. I guess I need a new cable as well.
I will upload a photo soon. You would think I work out every day by the way I snapped this thing off.

First thing to do is to check the "reverse gate" at the jet drive, see if the cable is attached back there... you can move the reverse gate by hand from F to N to R and so on... the cable should slide in and out as you move the gate. If that's ok, you will need to check if the cable moves end-to-end (I'm guessing its not broken)... you will need to remove the throttle/shifter handle mechanism (up by the steering wheel) out of its mounting... this is a fairly easy exercise: 4 screws hold a cover plate on and another 4 screws underneath the cover plate that holds the shifter mechanism to the boat. Once those 8 screws are out, you can lift the mechanism up to expose the cable attachments. Now with that exposed, have someone else go back to the jet drive and manually move the reverse gate and see if it moves the cable attachments. My guess is that the cable is still good and you just broke the plastic handle.

That being said, you will still need to replace that plastic handle, which might mean you will need a whole shifter/throttle mechanism. But I have seen them used on eBay regularly for not too much money? The installation is fairly straight forward... just the 2 cable ends and a sensor wire with a plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was working by hand and I could move the reverse gate a few times to get it neutral. But I guess my luck ran out as I heard a snap and now the reverse gate moves very easily. I guess the cable was on its way out and I finally broke it and the handle.
How hard is it to replace that cable? I installed a new steering cable last year w/o taking out the jet drive assembly. Wasn't easy but still did it. Also, how do I find a throttle assembly and do I need to buy the whole thing or can I just replace the lever that I broke

Thanks for your help

Best bet would be to click on one of the part vendor ads you see to the right or left of this forum. Go to your model boat and look at the parts breakdown. It should show if that part was available by itself new.

You can then search ebay for that specific part number, or someone may have the whole assembly for less if they are parting out a boat. At that time, you can determine if you want to order the new part, or keep searching for used.

The parts diagrams also show you how things may go together, and you can start taking your boat apart and find out what is actually broken.

Good luck!

I don't think you can just replace a single handle, I think you need to replace the whole shifter/throttle mechanism (but I have been wrong before). Like I said, I have seen them "used" on ebay for about $100? And they are fairly easy to swap in! As far as the cable installation goes, I am not sure, I would think the hardest part is routing the new cable through the hull up to the shifter mechanism.

I don't think you can just replace a single handle, I think you need to replace the whole shifter/throttle mechanism (but I have been wrong before). Like I said, I have seen them "used" on ebay for about $100? And they are fairly easy to swap in! As far as the cable installation goes, I am not sure, I would think the hardest part is routing the new cable through the hull up to the shifter mechanism.

The steering cable was fairly easy to install........ the removal of the old cable only took me about three hours before my new friend the Dremel came along. After the old one was out it took about 45 min to install the new one.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help. Hope I can be of help to you one day. I will try to document the installation when I get the courage to do the instal. Should be soon, kids already want to know if boat will be ready by next weekend?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back