Boat purchase question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lashk

Hey guys I have a question about a boat I'm looking at purchasing. It's a 2006 sportster with the 215 supercharged engine. I know of the issues with the ceramic washers and that the supercharger has to be rebuilt every 100 hours. Other than that, is there any reason why I should be weary of the supercharged engine. Or should I look for the 155 horse power that is not supercharged?
Thanks

I would look at a 2008 or newer. No issues with exhaust valves. Freshwater boat ....good idea.

Get the 215. They also have issues with hollow exhaust valves. Freshwater boat?

Yes, it is freshwater. What is the hollow exhaust valve issue? Can they be upgraded & whats the cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
First,, boat engines are a year behind. So, if you have a 2007 boat, you have a 2006 engine..
The hollow exhaust valve concerns are 2004 to mid-2006 (a boat would have to be mid-2007 or later to NOT have the valves).

The hollow valves are sodium filled. They are welded together at a seam near the bottom of the valves. This seam can fail and allow the valve to drop into the engine causing SERIOUS damage. The valves cost about $50 each and labor would cost $350 or so if you were to change them out.

If a valve drops and you need to repair and replace, it can easily cost 2-grand...

First,, boat engines are a year behind. So, if you have a 2007 boat, you have a 2006 engine..
The hollow exhaust valve concerns are 2004 to mid-2006 (a boat would have to be mid-2007 or later to NOT have the valves).

The hollow valves are sodium filled. They are welded together at a seam near the bottom of the valves. This seam can fail and allow the valve to drop into the engine causing SERIOUS damage. The valves cost about $50 each and labor would cost $350 or so if you were to change them out.

If a valve drops and you need to repair and replace, it can easily cost 2-grand...

Is this also an issue on the non-super charged 155 hp engine of the same year? If I were to get the valves replaced would I be out of any danger?

Is this also an issue on the non-super charged 155 hp engine of the same year? If I were to get the valves replaced would I be out of any danger?

True on all 4-Tecs of the 2004-mid 2006 years. And yes, if replaced with solid core there are no further valve concerns other than a rare mishap.

If you pull the valve cover look for a stamping. 72 is hollow core and 75 is solid core.

Is the 2003 affected by this exhaust valve problem. I'm looking at an '03 with the 4 tech engine. It is not supercharged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back