Boat is pulling to the left. Any ideas?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman251

Posted a while back with no responses thought I'd try again. I have a 2000 Sportster 1800 with a 210 Merc. On plane, the boat pulls to the left. To go straight, I need to hold the wheel at about 2
o clock fighting some pretty significant resistance. The jet assembly appears to be in pristine condition and facing straight rearward with the steering wheel centered. The ride plate is not cockeyed although I do experience some porpoising as others have reported. This is driving me nuts. Anybody have a fix?

My 2001 Chall. pulls left , too.

Some have told of lowering one side of the ride plate to create some drag on the opposite side. My ride plate is hydraulic control, so I can't do that.

I work in a machine shop. I took the steering nozzle to the inspection department and explained. My thought was possibly the pivot screw holes were made off-center from the flow stream. Their $100,000 inspection machine could not find any substantial off-center condition.

Other people say the problem is in the stator nozzle. I have not been able to have that piece checked yet.

The best i can determine is slack or play in steering system (nozzle, cable, and steering box) all adding together. The thrust compresses it all and you're left to compensate.

I believe all jet boats pull to one side. I know mine did with the 2 stroke and still does with the new drive train. I can't remember what direction, but I know I have to hold the wheel at approximately the 2oclock position (I think to the right) to keep it straight when on plane. I believe this is an effect of the fact that the prop spins in one direction and doesn't have a counter-rotating prop to balance out the forces at play. I think this is why outboards have that little wing tab above the prop on single engine boats.

mine too. my previous boat did as well. my understanding is that this is caused by the rotation of the water as it exits the drive. our boat also lists a bit due to the weight of all the extra stuff to starboard (battery. driver etc...). anyway I was going to adjust the steering cable and ride plate a little to compensate but I assume it would them screw up the steering at slow speeds

Mine pulls too. How are the vanes in your stator? Mine was missing some big chunks. Had Impros do repair over the winter going to test to see if that fixes me.

The only other things I have fixed which was related to a HARD pull was my steering cable was collapsing under load. (Common failure) And some previously owner remounted my motor and pump out of alignment.
(Rant: And instead of realigning everything they just ground down the leading edge of the ride plate, slap it up in there and called it good.)

Any-who

Check and make sure your steering cable is not collapsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back