Black Powder and Metal Shavings in New Sea-Doo?!?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadoorider101

To day I ran a few more hours on my new Sea-Doo GTI SE 130. It now has 7 hours on it, I was not being rough with it, i am breaking it in very slowly and smoothly. But at the end of the day I removed the seat to find a black metal powder residue below the drive shaft , as well as a few small silver metal shavings.

Is this part of the break in? Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

I would say the metal shavings are not normal though the black power is from the carbon ring. I would pull back the boot and have a look.

I would say the metal shavings are not normal though the black power is from the carbon ring. I would pull back the boot and have a look.

Here is under the boot. Is the carbon normal though? Is it supposed to give off powder at only 7 soft hours?

I don't have that model so I can't say for sure but the residue indicates friction. I don't think friction on anything that rotates that fast is a good thing - especially combined with metal shavings. I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it out just to be sure.

both pretty normal, break in is exactly that. not all carbon rings make that much dust though. parts have to wear a little for them seat.

if you change the oil filter, you'll find small metal shavings in between the pleats as well.

My new 2011 GTI 155SE has 10hr 41 min on it and there is no dust what so ever. That drive shaft flange should have been machined perfect or the carbon seal will desegregate in no time. If I had to venture a guess it would be that your model required the timing chain replacement and the dealer may inadvertently nicked the flange when removing it.

My new 2011 GTI 155SE has 10hr 41 min on it and there is no dust what so ever. That drive shaft flange should have been machined perfect or the carbon seal will desegregate in no time. If I had to venture a guess it would be that your model required the timing chain replacement and the dealer may inadvertently nicked the flange when removing it.

Mine is the 2012 model, wasn't the timing recall only on the 2011's?

I ventured a guess like I said before. I'm not sure if some of the 2012 fell under the same recall. I know a few 2011 did like mine.

While this may just be an optical illusion of the pic, it sure looks like the carbon ring/SS flange assembly isn't true with the driveshaft (it looks slightly crooked or warped to me in that pic). I can't think of any good reason for there to be metal shavings in the bottom of the hull... if it were mine I'd take it back to the dealership and show them, if for no other reason than to have it documented in case the watercraft later sinks because of a total failure of the carbon ring seal! They can void your warranty if you don't check this with an authorized dealer.

Keep in mind that if the carbon ring fails water will flood into the hull thru there and sink you fast!

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back