Battery orientation 1997 seadoo speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to go riding and my battery totally dead. Never happened before. I did have a stereo installed awhile back. But this didn’t cause it as I’ve left it sitting 2 weeks before and was fine.

Yes everything was shut off and not left on.

But I did notice something. The battery must have tipped on its side when out whipping around. Or the stereo guys left it like that.

I remeber when I first got the boat the battery was on side like that. And I don’t think I ever set it up right again. When a battery lays on its side like that can it kill it or something ? I don’t see how. As I’ve rode it all season and it it never had an issue.

Only left it sitting a week and it was totally dead. Only dead enough to not start. All electronics work.

Attachments

• 3C2FF910-8D9B-4783-B7EF-FB5666CE55D7.jpeg
    3C2FF910-8D9B-4783-B7EF-FB5666CE55D7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Also. When I first tried to start it. It did a pretty fast turn over. And the more I tried it the slower the turn overs would become. Until eventually it would maybe turn over once and then just not anymore. Both engines. Which makes me think it’s definitly a dead battery

It's a wet battery. Yes... sitting on it's side will kill it. Basically... the acid drained out of it. AGM and Gel batteries can be mounted on their side (they are also considered wet batteries) but a standard automotive can not. Also... when the cells sit dry... or partly dry in this case... they corrode/sulfate and generally can't be restored.

Get a new battery.. and make sure it's tied down. It's dangerous to leave it loose like that.

What’s odd thoigh is I see nothing that leaked out anywhere. Battery acid doesn’t really evaporate lol. I figured maybe this wasn’t a standard battery and might be a gel or amg.

If nothing. Did leak out. Will a charge help fix ?

And any idea on what battery I could get either amg or gel cell as a direct replacement ? I see some people have 2 batteries. But I only have 1 and want to get the exact one I need

@Dr Honda so I charged the battery for a day for kicks.

When to restart it. At first I got a small click. Then all it does when pressin either start button is one medium length beep.

Electronics don’t turn on either.

I read that maybe I have to wake the computer up ? Or no just a totally dead battery ?

First... acid can evaporate... sort of. the water will evaporate, and the "acid" will be left as a crystal. But, our boats are always wet inside, and it drains out the back when you pull the plugs.

It's not a gel battery. I can see the caps. The 2 rectangles on top can be pop'ed off, and you will see the acid.

Putting a battery on the charger with dry cells won't make it come back to life.

Before asking "Or is it a dead battery?"... the answer was given... and the simple thing to do is... put a meter on it.

Ya it’s prob dead.

I might get a gel cell instead but I see they are much more expensive. I’ve also read agm battery. But the specs on these are a little different.

Are you familiar with a gel or agm battery with the same specs / size as the one I have ?

I appreciate all your help. You’ve been a critical information center while I’ve owned this thing lol.

Getting the battery out of this thing is a pain and is impossible with out tilting on its side. So I fear I’ll spill out some when installing a new one.

The specs generally aren't exactly the same between the different types... but if you get a "Group 24" style... it will be more than enough.

A wet battery can be tipped quickly while being installed... but sitting sideways will let it drip out.

Odyssey and Optima are popular brands for AGM. They are expensive ($250'ish)... but work well. I don't have an issue with wet batteries in a boat... but they need to be tired down very well. As an FYI... my Islandia has a Group 24 and a group 27 wet. They are 7 seasons old, and running great. On PWC... you need an AGM just because they beat batteries.

Generally... no. They don't like the heavy amp draw during starting. There is a Marine Dual use battery. It's able to start the engine safely, and it can be drained like a deep cycle without damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back