Battery Life - Longevity

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

Yesterday as I was getting my PWC's ready for a trip to the River, one of them would not start. Although both are tenderized while in storage, when I checked the volts it was clear the battery was D E A D, around 12v, well under 12.65 which IMO reflects a good battery.

So, off to find a replacement battery for one of my 1997 Kawi 1100STX's.

I thought about heading over to China Mart because I had to pick up a couple gallons of Pennzoil XLF (this stuff is prohibited from entering into any, but maybe a 587 S/D engine) and after looking at the batteries I decided, like I do with most China Mart goods, to go elsewhere.

Ok, to get to the chase, I was wondering, after dishing out $82 bucks for a battery, how long do PWC batteries last that are Tenderized? Is there one brand that lasts much longer?

So with summer here and time to jump aboard our PWC's, how about responding with an answer?

Have a great summer PWC'n.

I use Die-Hard or Yuasa. I don't like keeping batteries on a maintainer, since they can be boiled out. The Odyssey batteries are great, but normally a little pricey.

I will put a battery on a charger once every 2 months or so during the winter. If the "Toy" has a known draw... I will disconnect the battery ground. The killer on a led battery is draining it flat, and letting it sit that way. (that includes Wet, Gel, and AGM) When that happens, the cells can sulfate, and won't come back to life.

Normal life on a wet battery that gets parked, and then beat around... I am happy with 3 years. BUT... you can get up to 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Griz, I always keep the PWC batteries Tenderized when not in use.

I think you're probably cooking your batteries leaving them on a battery tender all the time. During winter storage I take the batteries out of the ski's and put them on a wood shelf in the garage (it never gets below 50 degrees). I put them on a battery tender jr. once a month each for about a day.

This is the fourth season on the battery in my 96GTI, it's an old lead acid battery from NAPA. Still cranks strong.

Lou

Big Lou, I thought that was the purpose of the Tender, to "cook" my batteries, tenderize em? What a dumb @$$! Another example reflecting that my folks and the U.S. Army wasted their moola sending this White Boy to Kollege!

Thanks Lou, and Dr. H for the info. No wonder I had to keep adding H20 to one of my batteries every six months. Duh!!! That one is on its fourth season.

You boyz' showed again another reason to stay with the Sea Doo Forum. Thanks again.

That's the prob. It's a slow simmer, and boils them out.

With batteries... like any other mass produced items... you can get lucky, or unlucky. Generally with a good brand... your luck will be better with a long life. The battery in my Polaris is 3 year old this summer... and it's going strong. So... if I need to replace it next year... I'm fine with that.

BUT... I have to say... I bought a $19 tractor battery from Lowes, and it's been one of the best batteries I've seen. I'm bad with maintenance with my tractor. When the weather gets cold... I park it in the shed, and I don't look at it until I need it in the spring. This summer... that battery is 4 years old. AND... this spring... I went out to the shed, and simply turned the key... and it started !!!! No charger, and it had been sitting for at least 6 months. (with freezing temps for at least 4 months)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back