Battery Draining

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadabob

Hi all:

Another novice question. I have 2007 180 Challenger SE with a alternator problem (different issue to be dealt with in a week or so). As a result, the batteries drain over a period of use. I have a back-up battery as an interim safety meaure.

In any event, one of the 2 batteries is now drained and unable to use to start the boat. I'd like to get it recharaged so there are 2 working batteries available on the water.

What's the easiest and least expensive way to get a battery re-charged?

Many thanks for any help on this.

Hi all:

Another novice question. I have 2007 180 Challenger SE with a alternator problem (different issue to be dealt with in a week or so). As a result, the batteries drain over a period of use. I have a back-up battery as an interim safety meaure.

In any event, one of the 2 batteries is now drained and unable to use to start the boat. I'd like to get it recharaged so there are 2 working batteries available on the water.

How much time do you have? I have a marine battery charger I bought from walmart very cheap, but it takes overnight to charge it...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-15-Amp-Marine-Battery-Charger/13005745?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

I bougth the $19.99 one, cuz im cheap

The boat is in the water now...I assume I have to take the battery out and charge it on land and then re-install it? Am i correct?

That or just disconnect the battery cables and charge it in the ski. but removing it, is safer.

Until this charging problem is fixed, just disconnect one cable until you are ready to use it again......Does the battery charge while running the motor?

That or just disconnect the battery cables and charge it in the ski. but removing it, is safer.

Until this charging problem is fixed, just disconnect one cable until you are ready to use it again......Does the battery charge while running the motor?

Do you have a battery cut off switch?, the dealer told me I can hookup my charger with it on the off position.. Or if you don't just remove the cables.. That's what I used to do on my sportster..

Anyone know what is the drain cause? Left mine for 4 days and came back to it dead?! Was working fine for 2 weeks prior with daily use!

Anyone know what is the drain cause? Left mine for 4 days and came back to it dead?! Was working fine for 2 weeks prior with daily use!
Seems to be a pretty common issue that the auto bilge pump will get stuck and run. It is connected directly to the battery, NOT through the main battery switch, as a safety precaution to make sure the boat doesn't get swamped if left in the water. The float will get dirty and it will get stuck, eventually running your battery down.

Hi all:

I'd be more concerned WHY the charging cicruit is not working, and less concerned with recharging the batteries. On my Speedster, there are two engines, and two voltage rectifiers/regulators. The previous owner had replaced the port side rectifier, but there were still charging problems. I did some research and there is a 30amp inline fuse that is fairly well known to blow/melt. That fuse is in the charging circuit and will prevent the magneto from charging the battery when underway. Sure enough, mine was melted....I replaced it, the starboard rectifier and added a voltage meter to the dash so I could watch the actual voltage and not just get hit with an idiot light that comes on about 30 seconds before everything dies...now, I get 13.8-14VDC with the engines cranked.

I'd be more concerned WHY the charging cicruit is not working, and less concerned with recharging the batteries. On my Speedster, there are two engines, and two voltage rectifiers/regulators. The previous owner had replaced the port side rectifier, but there were still charging problems. I did some research and there is a 30amp inline fuse that is fairly well known to blow/melt. That fuse is in the charging circuit and will prevent the magneto from charging the battery when underway. Sure enough, mine was melted....I replaced it, the starboard rectifier and added a voltage meter to the dash so I could watch the actual voltage and not just get hit with an idiot light that comes on about 30 seconds before everything dies...now, I get 13.8-14VDC with the engines cranked.
Where is said fuse? My 05 370hp doesn't charge much if at all. Is it right in line with the positive cable or what?

Thanks

It should be somewhere inline between the rectifier and the battery. On mine, it was on the starboard side near the battery.

Well on another one labeled PED 3 it has a blown 5 fuse.... [emoji848]. Is PED a Sea-Doo item or a manufacturer name?Image1532820749.237443.jpg

Found out very quickly that 5 amp on ped3 is for the auto bilge pump which is working oddly perfectly. Sorry to everyone for so many replies here. I’m on my phone obviously being out on the water instead of a desktop computer like an adult. Anyways: This thread helped me immensely- thank you again, gentlemen!

Good job on finding everything! I don't know what PED stands for, other than a circuit designator maybe. If you had a schematic diagram, it might point to the correct circuit.

Now, replace that 30amp fuse and I'd be willing to bet it will go back to charging the battery. A couple things I did, as referenced in my earlier post, were replace the fuse holder(s) since that's a problem spot...loose connection to the fuse connectors will cause the overheating/melting.... and to install an actual voltage gauge so you can watch the voltage instead of just having an idiot light. Very helpful to see a potential problem BEFORE it leaves you sitting in the middle of the lake waiting for a tow!

And if you don't have something like the Blue Seas Add-A Battery kit with an automatic charge relay (ACR) for your dual battery setup, then you might consider installing that. The ACR is supposed to monitor the voltage on your primary battery and when it reaches a certain point, it closes the relay to keep the secondary battery charging as well.

I had an orange wire directly connected to my battery that was draining the battery at a rate of 1.2 Amps. The boat electrical diagram indicated that orange wires are for the radio. I removed the fuse to stop the battery drain. I suspect the wire is directly connected to the radio so it retains the stations programmed into it. I need to eventually replace that original radio and upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back