Bailers not working...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmarts

Ok so i picked up a second 97 GSX for my dad. Got it out this weekend and ran pretty good, took it out of the water and when i popped off the seat there was A LOT of water in the bilge.

Being it was the first time we had it out i should have paid more attention and ridden it with the seat off but my dad wanted to use it so i didn't have a chance.

I haven't figured out where the water is coming in from but the fact there was so much makes me think the bailers aren't working. Aside from checking that the lines aren't plugged, is there anything else to them? The elbows are up high where they're supposed to be and the tubes in the nozzle are still present... Possible the o-rings on the pump are faulty?

The ski was sitting in the water for 3 days, was only really used for a couple hours on one day as it rained for much of the weekend. at this point I'm assuming the water is coming in while it's running but not %100 on that.

Yes just blow out the bailer lines. There are small holes in the yellow elbows. So you will get some hissing out of there.
Look at the carbon seal. Anything that goes through the hull at the back can be leaking.
Also under the front right side just under the bumper there are two fittings that can deteriorate and leak.

Also look for leaks in the cooling lines. And check the frost plugs on the exhaust.

Welch plugs on exhaust, carbon ring on driveshaft. Vts boot is notorious for dry rotting and leaking. Also most Seadoos will take on water if u leave them in the water for 3 days.

Welch plugs on exhaust, carbon ring on driveshaft. Vts boot is notorious for dry rotting and leaking. Also most Seadoos will take on water if u leave them in the water for 3 days.

Still haven't had a chance to get at it but the first thing i checked was the VTS boot since i went through this with the first GSX i bought.

As for taking on water... I have two identical seadoos, the first one i bought doesn't appear to take on any. But since it's mine i ride it pretty often compared to my dad who just goes for a little rip here and there. Perhaps my bailers are taking care of accumulation.

But on my dads, i thought i noticed an excessive amount of water when i water tested it from the seller but tbh i didn't really look before the ride so i couldn't be sure. The bailers for sure aren't working because it was a 5 min ride from the cottage to the launch that was WOT. Where it's coming from is still TBD.

If the white plastic tubes are missing from the pump cone it will pump water into the hull instead of sucking it out. Also if the o-rings are missing from the cone to pump and pump to hull joints it will not suck the water out. Also a good time to change the pump oil and inspect the impeller/wear ring when you check for the o-rings.

If the white plastic tubes are missing from the pump cone it will pump water into the hull instead of sucking it out. Also if the o-rings are missing from the cone to pump and pump to hull joints it will not suck the water out. Also a good time to change the pump oil and inspect the impeller/wear ring when you check for the o-rings.

I know about the cone to pump o-rings... Where are the pump to hull o rings?

Depending on the year, some just have nipples through the hull but on newer ones it is a formed o-ring that seals the pump to the hull plate.

Well i had the trifecta.

Welch plug leaking, water regulator bellows punctured, and a missing bailer O-ring.

All good now, thanks everyone.

This is what I did that proved the bailers to be the problem and when. I put a container in the hull and put both bailers in the container. I'd ride straight up, no turns and the container was just a little wet. When I made some turns, the container would fill up in seconds. I chased this for 3 outings trying to figure out the problem. My ski had damaged o-rings between the nozzle and venturi.

Dumb question but what do the ballers look like. Is that the 2 plastic things in the bottom of ski that are held by a metal tab ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back