Bad boost fuel pump?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilskywalker20

Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first jet boat that I have recently purchased . I have a 2005 utopia SE with the 250 optimax. I baught it three weeks ago. Everything worked and ran great. I had the motor checked out at a merc dealer and it was found that it only had 109 hours on the motor. I did the 100 hours service and it and enjoyed it for the las three weekends.

On Sunday we were coming back from a day of boating and the motor died and would not start. I played around with the fuel lines and was able to get the motor to start again, but only for approx 15 min and then it died again and I had to get towed in.

I got it home and it started up and idled fine so I was able to flush it. I tore apart the gas tank and replaced the fuel sending unit and check valve. I was able to see clearly into the tank and it looks very clean(only a few very small pieces of debree in the tank. I tried to start it again and the motor would not start. I could see through my clear fuel line that the fuel traveled a short way up the fuel line and the stopped.

Here's the wired part if I take the fuel on off and hook it up to a soar tank with a hose primer and prime it to the first fuel pump(boost low Pressur pump) it starts up on the first try and idles great and will function fine. Once that happened I the replace the fuel line to the tank and it will again start up and idle fine then it will cut off and not get fuel.

From what I've read the fuel system ok this motor had two pumps, 1 that pumps the fuel to the svt and one that high pressure pumps it to the DFI injectors on the cylinders. That being said... Does it sound as though the low Pressur or boost pumps is bad? Either way I'm out quite abut cause I hear the boost pump is 300 and the high pressure pumps is about 450... Any thoughts ?

The lift pump could be bad. But... just for giggles... try to suck the fuel up from the tank. If you have a small hole in the feed hose... you won't draw the fuel up.

I actully replaced the check valve and fuel line, and I hooked hand pump to the fuel line and was able to pump fuel up no problem. I'm pretty sure it's the lift pump, which is way cheaper then the high Pressur one

Dr. honda,

I purchased a new lift pump and installed it tonight. Turned the key and the boat fired up after a few cranks... Seems to be running great. Thanks for the help. I have another question. How often are you supposed to change out the gear oil in the M2 jet pump? my boat has 100 hours on it and was garage kept its whole life...so I have barley any signs of salt water do the pump and motor.

Time wise... it's listed as 100 hrs. BUT... it should be done every year, BEFORE PUTTING IT AWAY FOR THE SEASON, regardless of time.

There is a thread just a few posts down about milky gear oil. I fear he has damage.

Basically... if you do loose a seal... and water gets in... you want to drain it, before it sits for the winter. If you don't do it that way... the water will sit in the gears, and bearings, and cause them to rust/rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back