Audio System

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice setup...

@Protrac231...
How do you like the Sony M50 head unit? I was going to pick that up along with the same wired remote as well. How's the wireless remote work with it?

How are you running the speakers too? I was going to get the Sony 4ch. Marine amp, what is the Clarion you are using?

Im using a Clarion APX490M, and it works flawlessly. I just purchased a second amp to power just two new Polk subs i bought. I need to build a sealed box for them, so it will be a little while before i get them installed. Its tricky trying to get the subs to fit in a spot and make a box that will work.

I am prolly going to replace the Sony with the newer version that has the sub preouts too, its the CDX-MU60UI. The wireless remote is useless unless you have direct view to the radio, the remote radio controller by my driverside is really nice though.

@Protrac - Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'm going to be adding any subs into the mix, the 03 Sportster is kinda cramped on space as it is, unless you have some suggestions I'd be more than happy to hear them, AND act on them!

Here's what I am thinking of loading the boat up with before Memorial Day rolls around...

4 Sony 6.5" dual cone, 45RMS/160Peak
http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/speakers/XS-MP1620B

1 Sony 4/3CH Amp 60w RMS x 4, 70W RMS x 3
http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/amplifiers/XM-604M

1 Sony Head unit, marine grade, lots of options
http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/headunits/CDX-M50ip

1 Sony wired remote for mounting away from the head unit
http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/accessories/RM-X55M

Anyone have any suggestions about this setup at all or maybe things I should change/upgrade? Not looking to break the bank either just have something that'll sound pretty decent, not be under powered and not cost over $450 to install. Thru eBay I can get everytihng list for about $425 new & shipped.

Protrac231- Good job. Yes the second Clarion amp is set up in a bridge mode (4 channels to 2) and I am running each sub bridged at 4 ohms. Subs need more power to run efficently.

Guys..... Make sure you use marine certified speakers and amps. This will help them last longer, and when installing in enclosed areas fumes can be dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
cnpalmer, i would spend just a few more dollers on the speakers and get two ways, the dual cones just can't sound good trying to reproduce high freqencies, they rely on the center cone to produce the highs and you just can't get a 6.5 inch cone to move that fast, up to 20 000 cycles/strokes per second.
If the price is every thing then don't worry but for my money it would be better spent on less power and better speakers.:cheers:

@Gunsrunner - Thanks for the tip! I ended up going with the dual cone ones. I put 4 of the 6 in so far and it is LOUD. No idea where to put the other 2 yet, it may mess up how the system sounds now. Check out my "Project Sportster" thread for pics.

I'm in the process of a small audio project on my 98 speedster which originally did not have a stereo. As I was cutting the holes for the Polk db651 speakers everything was going fine, until I cut the one for the rear passenger behind the driver. I cut the hole about 6" forward center of the grab handle back there. Thankfully I used a hole saw at low rpm because when I cut through the fiberglass and backed the bit out, there dead center was every wire going to the helm! I only nicked the insulation open on a few wires but still felt the need to curse the engineers as i was re-insulating the wires. My concern now is do I need to magnetically shield the db651 since its magnet will be in close proximity to the wires?

If it was me, i would make sure you didn't actually cut into the wires. Shrink wrap each one that has the insulation cut, then wrap the whole bundle together. As long as you reinsulated them good, i don't see the need to worry about anything else really.

When it happened I checked them very closely and with intense light. I separated each wire and pulled open each scratch to see if it went through. I only found 2 copper threads that had been nicked on a fairly heavy gauge black ground wire and 1 nicked thread on another lighter gauge black wire. None were found to be broken. I count myself lucky and believe the damage happened only with a glancing blow from the bit's teeth as I was removing it from the hole. I used a fusing tape that is rated for 8000 volts per wrap to re-insulate, electrical tape would just get gooey and fall off in the summer heat. I have not powered the boat back up yet but if anything does not work I will know the first place to look. My main concern is with the DESS wires being so close to the magnet that it interferes with the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back