Anyone using a wet wolf cone on an RX?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

my02rxdi

Hi, currently my ski (2002 rxdi, solas impeller & rd ride plate) has been topping out at approximately 61 miles per-hour on the river. This I think is pretty good, considering when it was stock my max was 58.6 mph. I was looking into a wet wolf adjust-a-thrust for some added top end, and was wondering if anyone could give me some direct feed back on this product. (please no "i heard" feedback, i want someone who has this product, or has atleast used it to tell me about it.)

oh, and before anyone else tells me to do an intake grate, and a pump wedge for added speed, please note that i have both parts. The use of the intake grate killed my top end, maxing out at 56 mph (but helped with low end), and the wedge makes my ski bounce out of the water horribly, so i took it off.

Thanks!

Nope...guess not.

I can't ever remember seeing "Wet wolf" on this forum. (Sorry)

I can say this though... tuning a pump with a cone, or nozzle makes VERY small adjustments, and it's generally just for racing. I remember... back in the day... I had buddies who would put on an "Ocean-Pro" nozzle, and use an adjustable cone... and after they spent $800 on their pump... they really didn't feel any gains.

Grates are normally not for top speed. Anything deeper than stock will always scrub top speed on smooth water. BUT... if you ride in choppy water, it will keep the pump loaded, and in turn, give you better hook-up... better turning... and ultimately give you better top speeds in rough water.

I hate to send people other places... but the guys over on GR EE N HU LK (sorry, the auto delete is on here) talk performance. We are generally maintenance, and reliability.

Now... I will say one thing. If all you care about is top speed... get rid of the Di ski, and get a "LTD" version. You can do other engine mods, and really start to get more top speed. With the Di system... you are stuck with the HP it made from the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea i have to totally agree with you there. Im not really 100% into the speed thing, but every little bit helps. Besides i love my di, even without the fantastic top speed. I appreciate the info though. This is a good forum, when you get the right people answering your questions. Thanks!

honestly I had never heard of a wet wolf cone...

so.. ? what does it do ?

Its the actual cone on the rear of the pump. (That holds the oil)

In theory... changing the cone shape, size, and/or length can keep the "Laminar" flow of the original pump design. It's kind of like "Blueprinting" an engine. Anyway... if done right... it will increase the volume and pressure of the pump. But to tune a pump with a cone requires a radar gun, a pump that's tapped for a pressure gauge, and a machine shop to make adjustments.

Personally... I've never found a rear cone that made a noticeable difference in a stock pump. Now... if you have a billet "Magnum" pump, that was designed to be tunable with the cone, bowl, and nozzle size... then tat combo can squeak out some more thrust.

I have a stock 01 RXDI, and WOT I have gotten up to 63 MPH (verified using GPS) sped(lie)ometer said I was at 64 MPH. Playing with the trim does affect speed around 3-4 MPH. I never thought of doing mods, this ski is a pretty good performer.

wow, 63 is very impressive... stock i was stuck at 59.8 top on glass like water. where was your trim set at that time?

Trim was set dead middle, usually I run with one notch above, but I couldn't get above 59 at that setting. I will state it was perfect storm, I had about 1/4 tank gas, myself (around 205 lbs), and it was around 9PM at a local lake (Woodland lake), it was like glass. I will also say the low hours probably have something to do with it (I just passed 37 Hours on the ski). I would believe as time goes on, and hours increase, the wear will show. Also in 01, you don't have a choice but to run 91 + octane, that may do something with it.

yea i only run 93 in mine, i weigh 175, and i too have found that you pick up the most mph by having the trim close to the middle.

I only bring it up to the top end a few times, the ski is great on tight turns, and pulling out of the hole. I will never forget the time I had my 5 year old son infront of me and the first time I just gave it full gas from a dead stop, the ski leaps, and we are up to 40 at no time, I stop, look at him, and he says " I am done, take me to the dock!".

hahahaha, id really say do the solas 15/20 if you like that off the line jump, night and day difference over stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back