Anyone here moored a 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DooGuy

Debating on mooring this season, May thru Sept, just had a couple questions for anyone with a 230 that has.

Thanks,
Rick

I do not own a 230, but at the very least make sure your bilge pump is in working order and you may want to install a back up.

Cheap insurance.

For sure a bilge is an absolute. Have to replace the hose as it has a couple leaks. That and a good touch up on all the bolts with sealant etc. Yeah, we’re looking at docking it. More or so the questions are around size of slips etc. the marina has a 10’wide and an 11’ wide. Price is only couple hundred different. I know these are wide boats just curious what experience has been. I’m ok with risking the carbon seal. We’ll be there at least 1-2 times a week thru season. Figure it’s better than trailering 45miles each way and paying launch fees and dealing with the headaches of the overcrowded public launches etc

With just shy of a 9' beam, you'd be fine with either, but I'd go with the slip YOU feel most comfortable in. Maybe bring the boat down and try out one of each and see which works best for you?

I think keeping a jet boat in the water will bite you in the end. At the very least, make sure your pumps come apart should you ever need to replace an impeller. I’m fighting with mine now so it never happens during the height of boating season. IMG_4308.JPGIMG_4315.JPG

It's always good practice to remove the pump annually to inspect & re-grease everything. If there's any corrosion on the brackets or housings, wire wheel it off and re-paint. Keep an eye on your zincs as well.

We have had our SP210 in a slip every year since 2012. We had a second battery installed, just to double the run time on the bilge pump. THe biggest issue with width to me is amount of potential movement from waves/wakes in your slip. My 10' slip has been no problem, but I am quite protected from much motion. The extra width would allow for better Xing of dock lines to hold things steady.

I wouldn’t moor it unless you have a wide slip and can use whips, or even better like I’ve done the last two years.. I’m in 24” of water end of the summer with water levels dropping, and on the east side of the dock so incoming weather pulls the boat off the dock most of the time.

Attachments

• E2645573-7307-4C7B-B9B7-3206C036394F.jpeg
    E2645573-7307-4C7B-B9B7-3206C036394F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
When I stay in crab island keep her in a slip. I have added a shore power connection so my boat keeps power. If it's in saltwater you'll be sorry. Those jet pumps don't so we'll with salt

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just waiting to see what happens with all of the stay at home stuff. If goes to far into season I’ll hold off till next year, it’s pretty spendy. But it’s new dock with shore power on the river(fresh water) in an area where wake is controlled for several hundred yards because of proximity of the main dam. so rare chance of waves hitting. Will have some constant current but overall pretty calm area. I’ll likely do since it’s only 15-20 minutes from home to the dock and with constant power not too worried about batteries being drained by bilge etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just waiting to see what happens with all of the stay at home stuff. If goes to far into season I’ll hold off till next year, it’s pretty spendy. But it’s new dock with shore power on the river(fresh water) in an area where wake is controlled for several hundred yards because of proximity of the main dam. so rare chance of waves hitting. Will have some constant current but overall pretty calm area. I’ll likely do since it’s only 15-20 minutes from home to the dock and with constant power not too worried about batteries being drained by bilge etc.

Make sure your auto bilge feature is working on the main pump. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add a second pump for redundancy and or to help the main should you take on more water than the single can handle.

Cheap insurance.

I wouldn’t moor it unless you have a wide slip and can use whips, or even better like I’ve done the last two years.. I’m in 24” of water end of the summer with water levels dropping, and on the east side of the dock so incoming weather pulls the boat off the dock most of the time.

Have you had any issues sucking up anything in the 24” of water? I am pretty much the same boat at the end of summer and just switch from a V-drive to a SP210 to hopefully extend my boating season. Thanks!

Have you had any issues sucking up anything in the 24” of water? I am pretty much the same boat at the end of summer and just switch from a V-drive to a SP210 to hopefully extend my boating season. Thanks!

We’ve been in less than 24” several times. Have to be cautious, idle speed, single engine if you cant float to deeper water. We usually just use an oar to get deeper (3’ etc) then fire up and go.

Gotta keep in mind It’s an industrial vacuum so the risk of sucking up debris goes up significantly when you’re in shallow waters. Your jets don’t like anything aside from water and will lead to excessive wear or damage if you suck sand and rocks and even weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back