Anyone have a speed limiter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

coryy

Looking for a speed limiter for my 1991 spi yellow engine. Or does anyone have an idea how to run these skis with bypassing limiter ?

Do you have an aftermarket pipe or something?
You really can't just add a steeper impeller and bypass the limiter. The engine has to be able to pull a higher pitch and turn higher rpm. The engine has toe make more power to do this by increasing compression and a different pipe which isn't really feasible on the yellow 580 as the parts just aren't around anymore.

It's all stock.. not looking to mod anything.... I just want it to not hit limiter half throttle.... does anyone know if the cdi and speed limiter are the same unit on these old skis ?

What do you mean hitting limiter at half throttle? You should hit around 6600-7k rpm at full throttle. If you're hitting those RPMs early you have a drivetrain problem. If you aren't hitting high RPMs, you probably have an engine issue.

If you're unable to get high rpm even at full throttle, you have an engine issue. Check compression (no harbor freight gauges).

When is the last time you rebuilt carbs? Did you use genuine mikuni? Did you replace fuel selector, water separator, and the grey fuel lines?

If you hit high rpm early, check impeller, wear ring, and ensure there's no blockage or restriction in the jet path.

Also make sure you're greasing the jet pump hull bearings every time you go out.

It all started when I went to fire the ski up, the batt was stone dead. Boosted and would idle fine, pull away from bost launch sucked uo some sea weeds, killed engine removed sea weeds batt stone dead again... boosted again, as I was accelerating I couldn't get over half to 3/4 throttle. Pulled ski out the water inspected prop and intake grate, looked clear. Installed new batt fired up as it should, still hit limiter. It wasnt slow revving like a bumb cyl. And it did not seem to be starving of fuel.. I'll try a carb rebuild. Engine has 20 hours since last rebuild

If you jump started the ski, especially with a boost pack you could have damaged the MPEM.
Never boost a seadoo.
A bad MPEM could cause issues.

Doesn't have to have DESS.

You can still fry the MPEM and/or CDI module from boosting.

My bad I though MPEM was the DESS system.. the module I am looking for BRP part number says it's a speed limiter. Located in the electrical box above battery. Is that " speed limiter " also the cdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back