Any one tow with a Jeep Cherokee?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotinaj

I have a Jeep Cherokee and while it is rated to tow 5,000 pounds I was wondering if any one had already tried this and if it will work. I have been thinking about replacing or adding some of the load balancing things to the rear leaf springs. Any tips, tricks, storries or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You should be fine towing any seadoo product, I tow a single ski with my Nissan Maxima no problem. You should ad your make and model to you sig so people will know what you have and we will be able to help you with further questions you might have:cheers:

I hope to be the owner of a challenger 180...I have been shopping around and learning all that I can. I have added it to my sig. Thanks for the help!

I tow my two skis on a double trailer with my 01 Jeep Cherokee 4x4. Tows them like dream. Even tow dollied a few cars with it. However, I have a 3.5 inch lift. Stock leaf springs in the cherokees are very weak. I had a low miles 98 cherokee that the rear springs were pretty much flat with no arch. That Jeep had no hitch and had never towed. Look into a full length add a leaf, dont waste your time with the short ones. You can gets what is called a budget boost for short money and usually gives a 1.75 to 2 inch lift. Your rear springs will thank you.

'05 Grand Cherokee w/ Hemi

That's what I tow my Utopia 205 with...about 3500-4000lbs...NO problem at all.

Mine is rated for up to 9,000 lbs towing with the 5.7L Hemi.
4.7L v6 was rated to 8500 lbs on the '05...not sure what year you have, but thought Grand Cherokee had a bit higher towing capacity than the 4500...

Thanks for all of the help...I will definately look into new leaf springs I have a lot of miles on mine and it is probably time for replacements anyway.

You shouldn't have any problems towing with your Jeep. I've towed many things with many Jeeps and they all did fine except for the 4 door Wrangler. It really struggles to tow anything other than a jet ski. I have a Hemi JGC and i think it would tow my house. Just allow plenty of time to stop.

Srt-8

I tow my Speedster 150 with an SRT-8 Jeep. With AWD and a 6.1L Hemi I could pull your house off its foundation. The boat is no problem.

attachment.php

Attachments

• jeep_boat.jpg
    jeep_boat.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 765
Very nice Jeep...

Do you know of any good rear cameras (wireless I assume) to view the hitch area that look good on the Jeep?

Here's my Jeep and boat...

Attachments

• P4104233-web.JPG
    P4104233-web.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 29
I use a stock Jeep Cherokee and have no problems stopping, cruising, or pulling.
It is slightly traction limited (2WD) and it tends to get a little hotter than normal, but all Cherokees tend to do that even with new water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing.
I am pulling 2 Sea-Doos on a galvanized trailer.

Well, I bought the challenger 180 and boy does it make my jeep look small. I have a cherokee with the I-6 and it goes and stops with out any problem but the wind on the side of the car and the boat is pretty bad. I think for my next car I will try something with a little more weight. As far as I can guess the Jeep and the Boat weigh about the same.

My brother in law used a 99 Cherokee Sport to pull the Challenger 2000 that I now own. He added the extra leaf spring and the upgraded transmission cooler. He towed the boat from Toronto to Pittsburgh several times each season. The boat totally dwarfed the Jeep, but it handled it. They even hit a deer on the interstate and kept it under control with the Challenger on back.

He did mention that his V8 4Runner was a major improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back