Another "Which PWC to get" question - (Seadoo Wake 155 vs Yamaha FX HO vs. ???)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish1

Budget is in the $7-8K range.

Trying to decide which ski is right for me. This will mostly be used as a family ski towing the kids (tubes, kneeboards, and wakeboards). I'll also be taking it out on occasion solo so it would be great if it was a fun solo riding ski as well, but I’m assuming it’s mostly one or the other (SUV vs. sports car analogy).

I’d love something that tows the line (pun intended) between a towing ski and a fun “jump the wake” type of ski if there is such a thing. If not, I would lean towards the towing capabilities as it’ll be used for that more.

I also don't have a mechanical bone in my body so the ski will need to be very low maintenance and reliable or it will be in and out of the shop, which is the last thing I want.

I have heard great things about the Yamaha FX HO. This sounds like a great choice, but I haven’t been able to find any in my area.

I did come across a 2011 Seadoo Wake 155 with 20 hours for $8,000 (seems fair).

Would this 2011 Wake 155 be a good choice? I assume it would be GREAT for pulling tubes and skiers, but I'm worried it might not be that fun when I take it out solo. It doesn't need to be a quick, agile rocket, but I would like to have some fun jumping boat wakes and somewhat keeping up with friends. How fast does the Wake 155 go at top speed? Is it quick off the line? Does the 2011 have the "sport" mode the new Wake 155 models have for fun solo riding?

Is the 2011 Wake 155 one of the Seadoos that people were recently having sinking issues with...:eek:?

What do you guys suggest? This 155 Wake, wait for a Yamaha FX HO to show up (hate to wait very long), or something else completely?

Thanks in advance!!!

the wake will do everything you are looking for. i'm not sure about the sport mode, but you will have the "ski" mode and ballest tanks to make a bigger wake( the tanks to come off for solo riding) that year should have the s3 hull and with the 155 (which if you are not mechanical, is the motor to get, imo because of no supercharger rebuilds, but it is a little less fun) it will have plenty of power and be able to turn pretty well for such a large ski. speed will be high 50's to low 60's depending on water conditions.

the models with the sinking issues are the "iS" models. 8000 is fair for a good shape one of that year. i paid 7 for my 2008 in march.

I would suggest the wake 155 over the yamaha only because of its towing capabilities and options. The yamaha has more power (08+) and will be more fun riding solo but as far as towing and water sports it comes up short. And storage is very limited in the yamaha.

With limited mechanical ability stick with the 155.

I personally would at ainum go with the 215 but that has a SC and it will require maintenance.

Other than that it is a good ski for you.

wake 155.. ive had experience with the fx ho its a fast.. reliable ski..(feels a little bit heavy in the behind) but the jumping wakes, fast maneuverability, fun factor just isnt there...

get the ski thats designed to do what you want it to do.. and thats pull wake boards and mess around.

I had an 08 FX HO and I loved it. I sold it with 25 hours because I had a boat also. I just sold my boat and picked up a 155 and I love it even more. The electronics are amazing and i will never have another PWC without cruise control. The power is fantastic and to me it seems faster than my FX HO (especially in sport mode). I just hope the reliability is there with Sea Doo. My Yamaha FX HO did have some fit and finish issues and I often wondered if the Yamaha reliability is hype.

Good luck!

Thanks all! Sounds like the Wake 155 should be a great ski. I pulled the trigger and will be picking it up tomorrow.

I was reading through the owners manual on how many of the different features/modes work and I'm a little intimidated. It looks like there will be a learning curve to get used to how these different modes work.

Thanks all! Sounds like the Wake 155 should be a great ski. I pulled the trigger and will be picking it up tomorrow.

I was reading through the owners manual on how many of the different features/modes work and I'm a little intimidated. It looks like there will be a learning curve to get used to how these different modes work.

It's not intimidating. It literally takes only a few times using it to get used to the ski mode/driving modes.

My wife loves the ski mode feature for getting me out of the water. Set the mode and hit the gas and you don't need to do anything else. Gives the skier a perfect pull out of the water and maintains the perfect speed for the run. Worth every penny in the purchase right there.

It sounds harder than it is. Everything is so easy once you go through the process the first time you'll be amazed. It took the seadoo guy at the demo ride 40 sec to explain it to me and all I did was sit there like a 11 year old drooling over the RXP-X. I don't thing I listened to half the stuff he said and still figured it out just fine. You'll be just fine with it.

Don't worry about the learning curve. It will literally take you one minute to sort everything out. Congratulations!

Thanks guys! I'm sure you all are right. Once I use those features a couple times, I'm sure I'm figure them out.

Picking it up later today. I'll try to get it in the water after and report back.

I got it today and rode it for a few minutes this evening (just played a little from the launch to the dock). Wow, what a different ride then the older 2-strokes! This thing is smooth! Not quite as agile as the smaller, lighter 2 strokes, but more luxurious and comfortable to ride.

How fast should I expect this thing to go at top speed? I had some pretty smooth waters and could only get it up to 55mph on long straightaways (it would get to 52/53 relatively quick, but then would need time to get up to the max of 55mph that I reached). I was hoping this would go closer to 60mph. Or at least get up in the upper 50's without much trouble.

55-58 is all you're really gonna be able to get out of the 155. you gotta remember how heavy the ski is. its the "bells and whistles" on the wakes that make them cool. congrats on the buy.

I got it today and rode it for a few minutes this evening (just played a little from the launch to the dock). Wow, what a different ride then the older 2-strokes! This thing is smooth! Not quite as agile as the smaller, lighter 2 strokes, but more luxurious and comfortable to ride.

How fast should I expect this thing to go at top speed? I had some pretty smooth waters and could only get it up to 55mph on long straightaways (it would get to 52/53 relatively quick, but then would need time to get up to the max of 55mph that I reached). I was hoping this would go closer to 60mph. Or at least get up in the upper 50's without much trouble.

I have a 155 GTX. 53 mph is the speed you will get to at full throttle. Then you might get as you say to 55 mph. That is as fast as mine will ever go. But 53/54 depending on conditions is generally it according the the ski. I also have on order a 215 wake and hope to take delivery at the end of June. That should do another 10 mph to about 63 according to reports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back