Another Oil Question........

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastboat

I realize this is a old question asked many many times......but I have recently purchased a 2000 Model GTX Seadoo which has been sitting up for a couple years. I was not sure what oil to use so I asked a local dealer and they advised to use the Seadoo MINERAL (White 1 gal container) oil. However, I bought a manual for the unit and it states to use the Syntheic oil........so now Im kinda confused. I was hoping someone can give me experienced advice on which direction I should take. Not know what was in the unit already, I have drained the gas and oil, cleaned the carbs and now ready to go back up with it.........just wanted to put the right oil in for now is the time for that. Not sure how many hours are on the unit for I have not powered it up yet. (No battery) Id appreciate any advice or help.........Thanks...

Welcome to the forum....

Welcome to the forum fastboat.....
You don't say which GTX you have, whether its the RFI or DI, so I'll assume it's the naturally aspirated version.
You are capable of running either the mineral or synthetic blend. You've already taken the first step and that was to remove all the old oil.
The best way to tell what type oil the ski used before would be to open it up, which really isn't logical, since you have no problems. Running a mineral oil, the engine will have a bit more carbon build up than the synthetic.
Since you removed all the oil, I'd recommend going back with a synthetic blend. The 947cc (951) engine is a strong engine and will run very well with the synthetic blend.
Remember to re-prime your oil injection pump once you change out the oil. This is best done by removing the oil pump, and spinning the oil gear counterclockwise, while holding the cam lever wide open. I made an adapter with a small piece of stock that I cut a 1/8" wide slice into with my dremel tool. It worked great when I changed mine.
Just remember, go back with a non NMMA, non TCW, low ash oil. You don't have to use the Seadoo Brand, you can use the synthetic brand that Walmart sells, by "Quick Silver".........formulated for Hondas, but it also carries the same requirements that Seadoo recommends. Make sure you read the back of the bottle. Quick Silver makes several brands. Choose the right one. I think the front label is purple in color and has "synthetic" written on it.

Thanks for the info............There are so many different oils out here now it is confusing at times to know which is best between the mineral, pure synthetic, and synthetic blend.......... Thanks again for the info......
Andy

Welcome to the seadoo forum Andy. To add to seadoosnipe's comment, if the old oil was like a brown color then chances are it was synthenic, or a synthenic blend which is ok to mix as long as it is synthinec. Seadoo's Mineral will not blend at all with any synthenic oil, and is blue in color.

Very true.....

:agree: While I agree with Karl completely, because your not to sure about what's been there, I would just do the full clean.
I know this isn't par for the course, but when I changed mine out, I connected my shop vac to the vent line hose coming from the rotary chamber, to make sure I sucked out as much oil as I could.......
I told you, my name should be "McGyver"............I have spending money on things I can figure out ways to go around.........man, I'm a cheapskate!....:rofl:

The only reason I bought up the idea about the oil was so if it was the synthetic and you didn't get every drop out it won't hurt anything. Chances are it was synthetic, if the previous used what was recommended by seadoo.
Peace of mind and confidence is always a good thing. Seadoosnipe is correct in cleaning out all you can...better safe than sorry!

Thanks guys, I knew you guys that had the experience on the Seadoos would know..........Im use to running Tigersharks and I have always used the synthetic blend oil in those but I was wasnt sure about the Seadoos. I know they are more precisioned than the Sharks and probably required a different oil. Just didnt want kill the engine right off the bat by using the wrong oil. I have bought some mineral base oil per the dealers recommendation but I will get the synthetic before pouring it in the oil tank and do the pump prime like you had recommended. I hadnt thought of that so you may saved my engine with just that idea alone............Thanks again guys......
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back