Air Silencer Cover Plug is missing. Is it needed?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally just replaced mine this season after having it missing for the 10+ years since I got the ski. Never had a problem without it in there.

$9 'part' from the Sea-Doo dealer. Owch.

Thought about going to Lowes or Home Depot and looking through their 'rubber plug' bins, probably could've got one for a fraction of that price, but I was already getting other parts at the dealer, so...whatever.

I guess if your ski was upside down and you turned it back CCW instead of CW maybe some water might seep in... other than that mine is off.... but I also have the big lid loose anyway to get more air into the box for more RPMs. My RPMs dropped about 800 when I installed a more aggressive impeller (Solas). So as long as I don't flip or submarine my ski I should be OK. I'd love to put a K&N on her. ))

I guess if your ski was upside down and you turned it back CCW instead of CW maybe some water might seep in... other than that mine is off.... but I also have the big lid loose anyway to get more air into the box for more RPMs. My RPMs dropped about 800 when I installed a more aggressive impeller (Solas). So as long as I don't flip or submarine my ski I should be OK. I'd love to put a K&N on her. ))

Your doing it wrong. Leaving the lid off will actually cost you performance and possibly an engine. You are running super lean without it because the carbs aren’t jetted for it and the vacuum signal is worse so the carbs can’t pull fuel as efficiently.

Also the K&N are crap since they don’t flow any air when wet and don’t increase performance.

Unless you upgrade the pipe and larger carbs there is nothing to gain from aftermarket air cleaners.

You lost rpm because your impeller is putting more load on the engine just like taller gears in s car, not because your carbs or air box are causing anything.

Your doing it wrong. Leaving the lid off will actually cost you performance and possibly an engine. You are running super lean without it because the carbs aren’t jetted for it and the vacuum signal is worse so the carbs can’t pull fuel as efficiently.

Also the K&N are crap since they don’t flow any air when wet and don’t increase performance.

Unless you upgrade the pipe and larger carbs there is nothing to gain from aftermarket air cleaners.

You lost rpm because your impeller is putting more load on the engine just like taller gears in s car, not because your carbs or air box are causing anything.
thanks for the advice, miki... makes sense... will put back to normal in the spring... it did seem to run better with a bit more air... perhaps too lean. I guess if was a 4 stroker it would work. thx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back