Aftermarket head info - 787 engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

merlinbasenji

I'm interested in buying an aftermarket high compression head for my '96 XP, and I need to know what dome size (in cc) will work with 93 octane pump gas. By "work" I mean run properly without detonation/preignition. I'd like to avoid the need for racing fuel, which is expensive and hard to find in my area.

Any info would be appreciated, including your personal experiences with aftermarket or modified stock heads on the 787 engine.

Heads......

Since detonation is an obvious problem, that is caused by many different varible circumstances, I don't know if running higher octane fuel in the 787 is worth it, without the idea that your going to be doing an upper end re-work more often than stock.

I've said it many times. When you make these changes for the sake of a couple more mph, you need to remember that you are shorting the normal life span of the engine.

Unless your willing to spend a lot of money in this, I hope its for the sake of racing and have a sponser behind you for making these changes.

Just like in my younger days of building high performance, small block, Chevy motors, .........my motors only lasted a year or so before I was in a tear down to repair, replace or bore over again to regain the compression that was lost in the extra wear caused by the aftermarket racing components.

I understand the "want", when it comes to having a motor, wanting it to run faster and one day, I may even do a little modding on one of my 787's. But for now, just the cost of keeping the boat up from season to season breaks my check book................:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back