Adding a Swing Away Bracket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjb

Any one has any experience adding a swing away bracket for the trailer tongue. The thing I am more concern with is the cutting part. Can i use a grinder with a cutting blade? I have a galvanized trailer.

Attachments

• SAB.jpg
    SAB.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 37
use that, sawsall, plasma cutter... Cut that bi***

I would use the sawsall will leave a much nicer finish than plasma cutter. Take your time cuting. If you get the longer blades cut it in one downward motoin rather than going around the tube you will have less travel with the cut.

Good luck those tuck away tounges work great and save alot of space

What's the purpose of one of these? Just to swing away the arm for when storing in the garage? I've never had one on a trailer I've owned, so I'm not familiar.

What's the purpose of one of these? Just to swing away the arm for when storing in the garage? I've never had one on a trailer I've owned, so I'm not familiar.

yes, my father stores boats over the winter and they are so nice. you pull a pin and the swing right out of the way.

I would use the sawsall will leave a much nicer finish than plasma cutter. Take your time cuting. If you get the longer blades cut it in one downward motoin rather than going around the tube you will have less travel with the cut.

Well my Brother in law has one. Ill probbaly should get a new blade for it.

Thanks.

Sawsall would be "economical" but if not familiar with it, when cutting, it could "walk" on you.
Plasma, get it set right, wont be any "bubbled" metal, unlike a oxy/acet torch would...

you really need to wear a mask when cutting that metal and do not breath in the fumes if you do any welding to it. You can cut it with a grinder with a cutting disc as well but I would use a good grinder like a dewalt/makita so forth.

5" grinder with a Zip disc, ( thin cut off disc). Using a combination square, scribe lines on all 4 sides and cut using the grinder. Make sure you leave the line so you can see that you are going straight. I cut tubing all the time like this.

I think I am just going to do it tonight. I am sick of having the boat sideways on my garage. There goes another $150.. :ack:

Thank you all.

Got the bracket at my local West Marine store. I already cut the tongue using my grinder and cutting disk. My boat is not sideways inside my garage any more. :hurray: Today ill start drilling the holes for the bolts. Ill take some pictures.

Bump. Anyone else have any feedback on these swing-away brackets, both for install technique and overall usage/durability? I have a sawzall and was hoping to use the bolt on model.

Thanks

According to Karavan Trailers CS, they also use the Fulton swing away adapters specific to each trailer's tongue dimensions (3x3, 3x4, or 3x5) and overall load capacity.

I'm going to do this in September prior to winter storage and will post photos. It doesn't look like a big job but larger cuts into the boat or trailer always create pucker factor.

Edit: link to etrailer site, Fulton 3x4, and Q&A below:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler/Fulton/FHDPB340301.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually wanted to put one of these on my trailer, but I am finding that there is very little space between the winch stand and the tongue jack.

Then realized, I would want to put it on the outside of the tongue jack. At that point, I would have very little tongue left to swing and it would serve little purpose.

For those of you cutting your tongue with one swipe of a sawzall, keep in mind, you have wires and brake lines inside there to deal with!!! Not only do they have to be long enough, but flexible enough to allow the tongue to fold.

Pics would be great if someone does this job!

Let us know how much tongue is inserted into the fulton adapter in inches. That would help to determine where is the best place to cut.

Thanks!

Good point Biffdo, ironically I may have the same lack of adequate tongue space between the winch stand and coupler, won't know till measuring this weekend. I don't mind fiddling with the trailer jack a bit if it will help.

Somewhere in the etrailer Q&A or Fulton info pages I think it showed the adapter length itself (and minimum required install length) to be in the neighborhood of 7 1/2".

Sure, someone could add a tongue extender to get the adapter mounted and perhaps improve launch/handling benefits, but as you noted it would defeat the purpose for storage needs.

I actually wanted to put one of these on my trailer, but I am finding that there is very little space between the winch stand and the tongue jack.

Then realized, I would want to put it on the outside of the tongue jack. At that point, I would have very little tongue left to swing and it would serve little purpose.

For those of you cutting your tongue with one swipe of a sawzall, keep in mind, you have wires and brake lines inside there to deal with!!! Not only do they have to be long enough, but flexible enough to allow the tongue to fold.

Pics would be great if someone does this job!

Let us know how much tongue is inserted into the fulton adapter in inches. That would help to determine where is the best place to cut.

Thanks!

You can always move the jack. My buddy bought 2 new skis on a dual karavan trailer and it came with the jack mounted further back on one side after the tongue splits.

Sorry to say, the jackstand on my Seadoo/Karavan trailer under my X20 is a permanent mount. Otherwise, the combination of Winchstand/Jackstand moving, I would get enough space to do it.

I may have to shoot a photo. At this time though, I can get it in the garage, but it would be nice to swing it to give me some extra space behind the boat.

Good luck guys!

Sorry to say, the jackstand on my Seadoo/Karavan trailer under my X20 is a permanent mount. Otherwise, the combination of Winchstand/Jackstand moving, I would get enough space to do it.

I may have to shoot a photo. At this time though, I can get it in the garage, but it would be nice to swing it to give me some extra space behind the boat.

Good luck guys!

That really sucks. I thought they all just bolted on. What if you need to replace it?

Just got the Fulton swing away bracket from etrailer. It is hefty cast material with pins that are thicker/stronger than my hitch pin, so appears plenty strong for the job.

The 3"x4", 6,000 lb model is 7 1/2 inches long. Each side of the bracket is angled so roughly 3" of the tongue inserts in the short side, and 4" on the long side.

On my S200 trailer I have 9 1/2" distance from winch stand to trailer coupler, so enough room for the bracket without rejiggering the boat on the trailer. It will shorten the solid trailer/boat length down by about 15"+, or just enough to squeek both into my garage for off-season. Hallelieuja.

The only complaint I could envision, is that if it's in the garage, it's begging for more upgrades. Crap.

I'll post up pics for the DIY install later in Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back