About to throw in the towel !!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trueoo7

I've been turned down by 3 different SeaDoo dealers. They say it's too old to look at and can't promise they will fix it but want to be paid up front for their time but then turned me down anyway. Independent shops say they don't have the software or hookups to read computer. What a nightmare this has been.
Bought ski from my daughters future father in law. Battery was dead but he assured me ski ran fine (would not do that to future family) I would agree cause I know I couldn't do that. Long story short (you guessed it) motor was blown. I know, I know, don't buy unless you see it running.....Wouldn't take it back or help in any way. You guessed right again, not a good relationship at all going forward.

Had marina pull engine and sent it to Full Bore for entire rebuild. Get it back and marina installs it and it runs fine for 2 months. End of season I winterized it and put it in storage. Take it out this year and I get the 2 beeps and the engine would spin or crank no problem (like normal) on the first try for about 3 seconds but not start. 2nd, 3rd, 4th try, starter would engage but not enough power to turn engine over. Go away for 1/2 hour and come back, same thing. 1st try it will crank no problem, 2nd time starter will engage but not turn over motor. Figure battery is bad so I replace it, (2 times) doesn't help-same problem, move on to the start solenoid. Replaced it with no luck. Notice that after each attempt to start, the display goes blank and then turns back on (with the 2 beeps) after about 6 seconds. Next item is starter, replaced and no different. Have an electrician friend check the ohms per manual for DESS post and it shows good.
Tried again tonight and now all I get is a click out of start solenoid, no crank. Tried to jump solenoid and all I get is a spark, no crank now, but I always get the 2 beeps...
I'm mechanically inclined (own a hotrod) but not electrically inclined.
Will bring it back to 1st marina ( a little far away) and hope he can fix it, then sell it.

Its a 03 GTI LE RFI 787. Had 59 hours on it when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. Now has 79 hours, 20 on rebuilt motor. according to mechanic, engine was blown from detonation, marina figures due to the low amount of hours, it sat with bad gas a lot and that caused it. In the Northeast he said boats or skis should show approx. 30 hours a year on average. Too little and you end up like mine, too much and be careful. Lots of lessons learned here.

Any suggestions other than sinking it?

Stale gasoline is a major cause of 2-stroke detonation, and that will eat the pistons pretty quickly.

In your case as of now, it' sounds like you have a bad battery cable. If by jumping the starter solenoid terminals you only have a small spark and the starter only makes a minor clunk, there isn't enough current to actually crank the motor. OR,

Just to be sure though, remove the spark plugs and try cranking the engine. The reason is, there may be some kind of liquid in the cylinders causing hydrolock. Also you may try turning the engine PTO output wheel by hand while the spark plugs are out of the cylinder. It should turn pretty easily.

If still the engine will not turn, there's a chance the jet pump bearings are locked up, check the oil in there, it shouldn't be filled with water that will/can rust the bearings. Check up inside the jet pump for squirrels, might be something stuck up in there?

The battery voltage should be about 11 volts while the starter is engaged, if not you may have a discharged or defective battery. Those el-cheapo batteries made in 3rd world countries often fail quickly, cranking these motors is not an easy task for such a small battery thus they must be of good quality.

Could be bad battery cable or crappy ground. Like said also pump bearings could be wasted and locking up the pump causing it to drag so bad. I know i pulled the pump off of my 95 spi right after buying it and they were almost froze solid. Best bet is check for battery cable or ground first. Cheapest and easiest. Next i pull the pump and give it a look over and since having it apart might as well put new bearings and wear ring in while its off.

Recap STORAGE. Hope you fogged engine, filled with non-ethanol & stabilizer. RFI's do not like moisture, and ethanol just grabs it up, and gets first into the fuel module then injectors. Begin with load test battery, then same with starter,
if good results. If starter was stored with water in hull, you might get by with remove & clean the internals, load test it.

I agree with the other members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back