A suggestion to the moderator.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanpan25

I really like this forum and have a suggestion.

Perhaps have a FAQ (freqeuntly asked questions ) section.

Pertaining to Oils, always a popular topic, compression, dirty fuel filters and some of the more common symptoms of poor performing seadoo's.

Most of these topics have been covered thoroughly, cut and paste them into a thread for easy referance?

Just a thought

Thanks

Great idea may be a trouble shooting section also that we can add too as we see something that should be added. but I believe that ideas that are added should be checked to see if they are true as we can all be wrong some times and do not want to give bad advise. may be we can vote if ideas are in question. :agree: sounds like alot of work for someone to make up a good section that is easly searched. I wander if any one is up to the task. I have never done anything like this before so good luck. but I know it can be done.:cheers:

Forum topics....

FAQ's are normally found in places like business websites where products are purchased and your looking for a solution to a "frequently asked question". As you all know, this is a forum, which is just that. A forum for members to come in and chat and ask questions, looking for solutions to problems. The entire forum is a FAQ. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked what a RAVE valve was, I'd be rich!........
The biggest problem I see in the forum, is members and none members alike, come in looking for an answer and posting a question, without doing a search. And I know why, I do the same thing when I go to other web sites. Everyone is in to much of a hurry to find an answer to their question and they do not want to scroll through the thousands of FAQ's looking for that answer.
This forum does have a search engine designed to help you find an answer to your question based on key words. But how many people do you think actually use it? I know for a fact, that everyday I come in, there is a question that I'm going to respond to that I've responded to over and over again. I don't complain, I just do it because I know from experience, that when I go in to another site, I want that same kind of service.
As to mechanical advice and problem solving. It's kinda hard to give accurate advice on a problem, without being there to diagnose it by visually looking for it and moving things around with your hand. A lot of the time, we are driving blind folded. Some members come in with complete descriptions that are so vivid, I (or other members) see just what the member is describing. Then, we get these other questions that, make you want to scratch your head in confusion because you have no idea what in the hell they are even talking about.
The forum is already broken into several sections and it works for me. I have had several topics posted on several issues that seem to be recurring ones. But funny as it was, there were several post a question when the post and other answers submitted by members was right in front of them.
The other thing I find funny is the "phantom" problems. I don't know how many permanent members have noticed, but there have been posts made where after several questions were made by members, to help this person with their problem, when I could see right through them, that they obviously were in the forum, just to have something to say or do. Obviously not even owning a Seadoo, much less any other PWC.
And as for the advice. Robin, you know as well as I that there is always a good debate started when members have different opinions (which we haven't had a good debate in a while. DAWG must be on vacation...:rofl:) about oil, fuel, how to block off the oil injection pump and a host of many other issues. That's what makes it fun. No one in here, including me, has all the answers. That's why it takes all of us to help out and get our "friends" and co-dooers back on the water. I'm a mechanic, as is DAWG, Karl, All Things Custom and a few others I may work with often. And there are some that came here with little knowledge of the Rotax, now I read their advice and see they have learned alot!......:)
So while I understand your ideas, I don't think it would matter. You could have a FAQ dedicated solely to DI engines with trouble shoot and repair and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you would still see someone open a thread asking a question with an answer starring them in the face from the FAQ..............so, although in theory, your ideas are good ones, in reality, I think it would probably be a waste of time.
Good ideas, just not truly feasible..........................:cheers:

:agree: Amen to that...I couldn't of said it better...uh just a shorter version...:rofl:

Karl

Great post Louis but i think a trouble shooting part of this forum would be a asset as all manuals have them but are not as defined as I think they could be this one one could go into more depth and we could advise members to search it first and give them referance words to help with there search. and it would also help us as we do forget at least I do. :cheers:

I do searches all the time...this is a free site,(except for manuals) to ask questions and advice. No one gets paid to be in here now, and to get someone to spend that much time would be overwhelming. I think if it had that much information the membership to join for complete expert advice would be expensive. I know I spend between 4-6 hours a day, (on and off) in here now...for free.

Karl

I agree.....

:agree: Karl is right. If we had a trouble shooting FAQ set up, with the "trouble shooting" pages from the manuals available for people to view before asking their questions, then why have a premium section?
And too, the research that already goes on for members, outside premium, is very time consuming. But quite honestly, I've never turned down anyone's call for help, nor has Karl, that I'm aware of. So, for a free web site, there is a pot load of info to be found in old posts using the search engine, that has several hours, if not days of "free researched answers" for any member, jr. or premium, available to them. All they have to do is look.

It would be a investment of time but what other site do you know of that has a trouble shooting part that goes indepth and this is something that I would build over time it would not be something created over night. build it as you go and take your time. I may be wrong but the setting it up to work would be the hardest part but if it worked and got alot of attention I would not see how addvertisers would not want to place adds on the site. but I can allways be wrong. good luck Robin :cheers:

I am sure I could do it but for free I do not think so. If I had the kind of money it takes to start a forum like this one and if I found a idea that I thout would work and pay off in the future I think I would do it. Keep in mind this is only a idea and may not work but I would be willing to help as I could. I am sure every one else would also. Like I have said I have never done any type of web design. good luck. :cheers:Robin

Thanks....

Robin, I'd like to thank you for the idea and like I said before, it has great merit. But like I said, this entire forum is based on trouble shooting. That's what the forum is all about. Trouble shooting.
I tried setting up certain areas for information that one could use to trouble shoot their problems, all the research and info on the 4-TEC engines and the 787's.........and guess what? I was still answering the same questions over and over again, that were in huge bold, black and white letters for them to read.
THere are three types of people in this forum. Those that read, those that don't and those that are here to help.
Like Karl said, I don't get paid, Scuba Doo doesn't get paid, nor do any of the other premium members who spend a lot of time in this forum. They started just like me. I had a question about my engine, did a google search and found this place. Then, after reading a few posts, realized I knew the answer they were looking for, so I replied. I obviously caught the eyes of the administrators and they asked me to moderate. Been here ever since.
But the largest contributer to this forum isn't a moderator or administrator. It's been the members, premium and jr.....but there is no one in the forum who has contributed more time to help others more than KustomKarl (over 3000 post!). You know him as well as I do and you know how much he loves to come in here to answer questions. If anyone deserved a perk of some sort, it'd be him.
So that being said, I think the idea of a trouble shooting section should be closed. Because it would be to hard to organize by one person and transfer all the troubleshooting questions to that forum, expect all to go to that section, would be almost impossible, if not impossble.
I think you have had great ideas. The Admins agreed to your idea of making it easier to upload pix and they made the changes pretty quick. Your value to this forum has also been noticed by the admins and is appreciated. The final say on the matter of a "troubleshooting" section is up to them. But, I am fairly certain, they agree with me and Karl. It would just be too hard to do.
Thanks for your input Robin and as always, we love to hear your ideas and the way you help the people in this forum. Even when you can't give a certain answer, you always seem to steer that member to the right direction for the answer. So, Kudo's to you too!.....:hurray: But like I said, there is no profit here for your help. (I'd be the first to demand a raise if that were not true.).............:cheers:

wow

FAQ's are normally found in places like business websites where products are purchased and your looking for a solution to a "frequently asked question". As you all know, this is a forum, which is just that. A forum for members to come in and chat and ask questions, looking for solutions to problems. The entire forum is a FAQ. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked what a RAVE valve was, I'd be rich!........
The biggest problem I see in the forum, is members and none members alike, come in looking for an answer and posting a question, without doing a search. And I know why, I do the same thing when I go to other web sites. Everyone is in to much of a hurry to find an answer to their question and they do not want to scroll through the thousands of FAQ's looking for that answer.
This forum does have a search engine designed to help you find an answer to your question based on key words. But how many people do you think actually use it? I know for a fact, that everyday I come in, there is a question that I'm going to respond to that I've responded to over and over again. I don't complain, I just do it because I know from experience, that when I go in to another site, I want that same kind of service.
As to mechanical advice and problem solving. It's kinda hard to give accurate advice on a problem, without being there to diagnose it by visually looking for it and moving things around with your hand. A lot of the time, we are driving blind folded. Some members come in with complete descriptions that are so vivid, I (or other members) see just what the member is describing. Then, we get these other questions that, make you want to scratch your head in confusion because you have no idea what in the hell they are even talking about.
The forum is already broken into several sections and it works for me. I have had several topics posted on several issues that seem to be recurring ones. But funny as it was, there were several post a question when the post and other answers submitted by members was right in front of them.
The other thing I find funny is the "phantom" problems. I don't know how many permanent members have noticed, but there have been posts made where after several questions were made by members, to help this person with their problem, when I could see right through them, that they obviously were in the forum, just to have something to say or do. Obviously not even owning a Seadoo, much less any other PWC.
And as for the advice. Robin, you know as well as I that there is always a good debate started when members have different opinions (which we haven't had a good debate in a while. DAWG must be on vacation...:rofl:) about oil, fuel, how to block off the oil injection pump and a host of many other issues. That's what makes it fun. No one in here, including me, has all the answers. That's why it takes all of us to help out and get our "friends" and co-dooers back on the water. I'm a mechanic, as is DAWG, Karl, All Things Custom and a few others I may work with often. And there are some that came here with little knowledge of the Rotax, now I read their advice and see they have learned alot!......:)
So while I understand your ideas, I don't think it would matter. You could have a FAQ dedicated solely to DI engines with trouble shoot and repair and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you would still see someone open a thread asking a question with an answer starring them in the face from the FAQ..............so, although in theory, your ideas are good ones, in reality, I think it would probably be a waste of time.
Good ideas, just not truly feasible..........................:cheers:

wow after that long post i dont have time to search for anything:rofl: but seriously i didnt know you could search either...lol

Search link.....

The search link is on the top of the tool bar, at the top of the home page, near the right hand side.

If you open and use a "key" word, you'll be amazed at what you'd find.

I believe what may need to be done to help others understand if their hole shot is correct, Is that when we have these seadoo meets take a litle time out to see what the hole shot is with the crafts and record it in the forum. I know this does seem like a pain in the a** but you may be able to make it fun. After you have rcorded three of the same boats I would believe you would have a correct average of how a seadoo should take off. the newer crafts would not require more than 1 or 2 at the most of the same craft to compare with. This would put everyones mind at ease as how their craft should perform and add to the quality of this site as it will be more informed.

Good idea!

That's a good idea Robin. Maybe do a general survey of all the same type boats and skis.....get averages on the hole shots, top end, etc....

I don't think it would be a pain. I think others would view it as competition.

We'll have to keep that in mind...........:cheers:

My last Idea

It seems to be obvious that there are going to be people here that will eventuly need to take there seadoo to a seadoo mechanic, as they may not have the know how for some reason or may not have the time or may earn more than $80.00 per hour that the seadoo mechanic may charge and would be a beter investment to let A Seadoo mechanic fix it then to waste their time as they may make more than $80.00 per hour. May be we should call on some seadoo mechanics from each state to reply on this forum to get an Idea of their charactor, knowlage and honesty. I believe it would be a asset. Like I have said I can allways be wrong and I well leave it at this. Good luck Robin :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed point?

I think I'm missing your point on this one Robin. When members come in, at first, I see them all as equals. They are all here to look for info and how to fix their ski/boats. But, within a short answer and question session, it's obvious that the person isn't mechanically inclined enough to fix their problem. I think most of the premium member mechanics and mods see this relatively quickly. But if they are persistant, I won't turn away from them. I love to see someone with little skill, tackle a job and come out victorious. That's a great reward.........!:hurray:

I think I'm missing your point on this one Robin. When members come in, at first, I see them all as equals. They are all here to look for info and how to fix their ski/boats. But, within a short answer and question session, it's obvious that the person isn't mechanically inclined enough to fix their problem. I think most of the premium member mechanics and mods see this relatively quickly. But if they are persistant, I won't turn away from them. I love to see someone with little skill, tackle a job and come out victorious. That's a great reward.........!:hurray:
hope this makes more sence as I see this from time to time and I would allso think that if we could get some mechanics that do this for a living that they may enjoy making post as me and you do and would be a asset to this forum http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=6494
:cheers:

Good idea Robin....

That's a good idea Robin but if you haven't figured it out yet, that's what I do. Right now, I have 4 jetskis in my yard for repair. One is carb related, one has to have a comlete SBT motor put in it, one has a locked up jet pump (probably needs a bearing job) the other has a motor torn apart, laying in the hull, only God knows what I'll be able to do to get this back together.

My point..........if your a mechanic and do this for a living (for me, its a hobby), you got no time to be on this forum to help others........you've got enough on your plate just to do the things you've got set up to get down for the week ahead of you...........

Now, if we had a retired mechanic, that might be an idea. But if he's retired from the 90's.....he'll not have any knowledge of the 947 or the 4-TEC...

So, where do we go from here?....................:cheers:

That's a good idea Robin but if you haven't figured it out yet, that's what I do. Right now, I have 4 jetskis in my yard for repair. One is carb related, one has to have a comlete SBT motor put in it, one has a locked up jet pump (probably needs a bearing job) the other has a motor torn apart, laying in the hull, only God knows what I'll be able to do to get this back together.

My point..........if your a mechanic and do this for a living (for me, its a hobby), you got no time to be on this forum to help others........you've got enough on your plate just to do the things you've got set up to get down for the week ahead of you...........

Now, if we had a retired mechanic, that might be an idea. But if he's retired from the 90's.....he'll not have any knowledge of the 947 or the 4-TEC...

So, where do we go from here?....................:cheers:
You do have a good point Louis and as you have said in the past 99 pecent of seadoo shops do not need your repeat buisness. I have seen some shop owners on other sites that seem to have a litle intrest in helping others and get very upset when others are taken advantage of. We have some mechanics here that have the extra time and some that work full time on these skis. but after thinking about it a litle harder I realy cant see where this idea would be very fruitfull. I just wish that we had a list of people that spent a litle time here helping others that they may be seen as honest. I could see this list taken a very long time to grow. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back