99 XP Limited Lacking RPM - STUMPED...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbitter

Ok, so I've got a 99 XP Limited and it will kick up to 7k rpm when you first take off but only for about 2 seconds.
After that it drops to about 5800 and won't go any higher.
Tried choking it, only got worse. Tried pumping the throttle while at speed, still no change.
Only time it goes to 7k RPM is at Initial take off.

I've got through every forum post I can find about lacking max RPM and done everything recommended. It has got better, but still not what it should be rpm wise. Power when taking off is great, till it drops rpm to 5800 after getting out of the water (Going about 35-40 feet).

And here's what has been done.

In tank fuel pickup removed, inspected and cleaned.
Fuel filter cleaned
Fuel selector valve (Petcock) eliminated.
ALL new fuel & vacuum lines.
Carbs removed and overhauled twice. No carb kits as the parts (Diaphrams etc.) look EXCELLENT.
Wires to DESS post repaired, shielding damaged.
Switches inspected & cleaned.
It has a new battery and charging system is working good.
TPS wires cracked exposing core (Replaced TPS with new unit) BTW: It would not stay running if you let off the start/stop switch.
So I unplugged the TPS and it stayed running. Removed and saw wire damage so replaced TPS. Stays running now.
However, now it will NOT stay running in reg mode or advanced diag mode with the TPS unplugged... But did before TPS replaced. Strange
Rave Valves removed, inspected, cleaned and reinstalled.
Rave Solenoid tested, cleaned & tested again.
New hose installed for check valve that goes to crankcase (The one that feeds pressure to the rave system).
Cleaned and tested check valve (Works good)
With caps removed, checked rave valve operation.
Water control valve at muffler, removed, inspected, cleaned, tested & reinstalled. (Note: Leaks water from air line (the top hose) when top hose is disconnected. Don't get to excited that this is the problem, as I have eliminated it and get NO change on top RPM performance.
Also, tested it with cap off and holding my finger on the spring to simulate the cap being on, and it seemed to be working ok. Though I am unsure of exactly what RPM it should kick closed at.
High speed screws were originally at 3/4 out, put them back after carb clean. At that point was only getting 5500 rpm.
Turned them in to 1/4 and things got much better, turned them all the way in and made no real difference.
Turned them to 1/8th open and still about the same. No major difference between 0 turns out and 1/4 turns out on high speed screws.
Of course, out of water it will bounce at max RPM all day (Not that I did that all day... lol)

Side Note: This ski has been sitting for at least 5 years.
Side Note 2: After being out for about 30min testing, it will (sometimes/often) NOT restart. Regardless of what is done, it just won't restart. It does however crank just fine but sometimes while cranking it will SLOW down the cranking speed for like .8 seconds and then pick back up. Rest, rinse & repeat and it'll do it again at random. Just slows down it's cranking speed then continues cranking as normal. It's odd.
And you don't have to let off the start button and press it again for it to regain cranking speed.

Trying to give you all as much info as I can. Can't think of anything else I am failing to mention at the moment.

If you unplug the rectifier, will it reach and maintain expected RPMs?

How about a compression test as well?

btw: The speedo doesn't work. Well, most of the time anyhow. Every so often when revving (While on the hose) it will jump like it's working even though it's not even in the water. And sometimes (but less often) while it's in the water.

Would I be mostly correct in assuming that it's not related? Or does the speed of the craft get worked into the MPEM calculations for ignition timing? I've never seen that before but I suppose it's possible... Though I'd slap seadoo for doing that!

Really trying to think of everything here. :(

The paddlewheel sensor has failed. Replace it w/a GPS unit that's more accurate and cheaper. It's made by Can-Doo

it has no effect on the ski at all. it just displays to the rider the speed.

Did you have the tps reset? You have to reset it If you change it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Yes, in the manual is lists the steps to follow in adjusting the throttle cable and that sets the TPS. Make sure you do it in the order they state.

Pretty sure you have to connect to buds/candoopro to reset tps after throttle cable replacement

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I believe it is resettable. Is Buds or Candoo Pro. Can not be adjusted mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back