99 GTI cuts off completely at full speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sledge

Okay this is the second time this happened on the river. End of last boating season I was running full throttle and ski just cut out after about 5 minutes. Had to get a tow back as it wouldn't restart. Battery completely drained. Took to dealer and they said it's just needs a new battery. Buy a new battery and it started in driveway before putting away for winter. This past week... It started right up in driveway with hose connected. Let it run about 5 minutes. Okay I'm safe.... go to river and about 5 minutes at full throttle it dies again!! Just completely shuts off. It couldn't be another dead battery?! I tried starting to no avail. MY question is is there some kind of recharging system on the 99 GTI. Like an altenator for a car? Seems that the battery is being drained and once it's run the battery goes dead?! Thanks for any help......

I will also let you know that the fuel lines have been replaced and yes there was gas and the carbs were checked last year and that was all good.

rectifier in combo with stator... but doesnt sound like the prob....usually if the rectifier is bad you'll get surging, and stator a 12v low will come on quick

No surging on either occassion.... just strictly cruising along at full speed which is around probably 40 mph... and it just stops without any warning. Complete and sudden. I tried several times to start and wont kick until battery gives out from multiple tries at starting. I hooked the battery up to a charger and then the ski started in the driveway. Battery is brand new but trying to figure out why it is doing this? Second battery second time it happened. Beforehand I had it out multiple times with no problems. It has something to do with the recharging system but not sure what it's called.

look in your manual there is a ststor test that can be done...and when it does start you can also get the voltimeter out and check your rectifier....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back