99 Challenger 1800 Premix Conversion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrew

Hello all,

I have a 1999 Seadoo Challenger 1800 (Rotax 787) that leaks injection oil into the crankcase. I understand from my research that the likely cause is the seals on the crank shaft. This is not a project I'm keen to get into yet, so I'm thinking of converting to pre-mix.

I understand that, even with the conversion kit, the injection oil tank is still required to lubricate the rotary valve.

My question is... if the problem is caused by oil leaking past the seals on the crankshaft, would it still flood the crankcase even with the conversion kit? (since I'm still running oil to the rotary valve)?

Thanks

Switching to pre mix isn't going to fix your problem. And work your crank seal leaking the last thing is want to do is remove the oil tank, at least that is a visual reminder that you have to fill the oil but you also have the low oil light to catch it as another fail safe.

This happened to my boat. I had it fixed, but what you can do in the mean time for the season is install a valve at the oil tank to shut off the oil when not using it. In my case it would take like a week to fill up the crank so I would just shut it off when you put it away. Might store the keys next to it as a reminder.

This happened to my boat. I had it fixed, but what you can do in the mean time for the season is install a valve at the oil tank to shut off the oil when not using it. In my case it would take like a week to fill up the crank so I would just shut it off when you put it away. Might store the keys next to it as a reminder.
Thanks. What size/type valve did you end up using? (Can’t seem to find a 1/2” full port ball valve with barbed ends).

Hello all,

I have a 1999 Seadoo Challenger 1800 (Rotax 787) that leaks injection oil into the crankcase. I understand from my research that the likely cause is the seals on the crank shaft. This is not a project I'm keen to get into yet, so I'm thinking of converting to pre-mix.

I understand that, even with the conversion kit, the injection oil tank is still required to lubricate the rotary valve.

My question is... if the problem is caused by oil leaking past the seals on the crankshaft, would it still flood the crankcase even with the conversion kit? (since I'm still running oil to the rotary valve)?

Thanks

I'm facing a fairly similar issue here with 97 Challenger. I attached a picture of the valve the previous owner installed on my lines. Wish I had more info to give you on this but not sure where he got this one.

I uncovered this reading through these forums and trying to figure out why I was having oil leak into my crankcase. I wasn't aware of this valve until it was too late and didn't know to turn it off in the meantime since it was never in the manual.

I was hoping you had some luck with getting the oil out from turning it over and maybe had any tips on how to speed up this process. I've had the oil off and continue to crank the oil out but it seems like a never ending process.

Attachments

• D49A8B2A-C5DE-4F96-B7D5-A40DB35120B7.jpeg
    D49A8B2A-C5DE-4F96-B7D5-A40DB35120B7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back