98 SPX Refurb/Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_hog

Refurb/Resto

Picked this up for $200. Wasnt able to do a real good once over on it didnt have a battery in it and I didnt have one with, it turned over by hand so I put my finger over the spark plug holes and it did have at least some compression, but I figured for $200 it was worth a shot. Got it home put a battery in it and no spark, no turnover no nothing. So I jumped the solenoid and was able to get it to turnover but still no spark, was able to get a compression test this way, 147/150 so it just became worth the $200 I paid.

Swapped in a front ebox from one of my other XP's and still nothing, then it dawned on my that I didnt swap keys as well, dang DESS keys have gotten me more than once. So swapped the key and got it to turnover but still no spark, so I swapped the rear ebox out and got spark! Poured a little gas down the carbs and it fires and runs! Sent out the front ebox to Nick to get test and all it needed was the key programed to it. So for $30 key program and a $80 complete rear ebox I have a running ski.

Now I just need to get it in the water to see how it run before I go any further with it. If it runs good I will refurb/restore it and either keep it or flip it or if it doesnt run good either decide if its worth fixing 100 percent or just parting it out.

The bad:

Really dirty
Trim motor shot
Grey fuel lines
No spark
No turnover

Attachments

• o_a37a47590420aa1047a4dd0b4c7c4b20.jpg
    o_a37a47590420aa1047a4dd0b4c7c4b20.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3582.jpg
    IMG_3582.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160416_143924.jpg
    20160416_143924.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice ski. I would look closely at the bottom glass area. It looks like it might be delaminating.

20160423_125917.jpg

Well it didnt sink, ha! Ran good enough to move onto fixing the bottom and known problems and issues and either flip or keep it. Only problem was it seemed to over rev or cavitate on the low end, once I got it up on plane it ran great. I am thinking wear ring or impeller, impeller isnt mint by any means but it didnt look horrible, will have to check the tolerances.

Cleaned up the engine bay, changed out fuel lines and changed the pump oil. Good news is the VTS works, swapped out a motor from another ski and works great, so I have a replacement motor on the way, gauge works to. Now all I need to do is, pull the fuel baffle and check the float since the gauge doesnt work and then buff out the hull and put it up for sale and hopefully make some money.

View attachment 35346

View attachment 35347

Attachments

• 20160515_191206[1].jpg
    20160515_191206[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back