98 seadoo XP LTD sponsons

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

98XPLTD Denver

Ok I’m looking at replacing my stock sponsons. Who makes the best aftermarket sponsons for this ski ? And where to buy them please.
Thanks

Ok I’m looking at replacing my stock sponsons. Who makes the best aftermarket sponsons for this ski ? And where to buy them please.
Thanks
You can make your own out of aluminum for about $50.
Block off the front hole because the hull curves in and the aluminum won't sit flush.

Piece for inside the hull use 1/8th inch thick, 16 inches long, 1.5 inches tall.
Back piece that goes against the hull use 1/2 inch thick, 16 inches long, 1.5 inches tall.
For the actual sponson use 1/4 inch thick. You can make it any design you want.

For my sponson I took a piece 1/4 inch thick, 18 inches long, and 3.5 inches tall.
Measured 4 inches to the right from the top left corner and put a mark, then draw a straight line from that point to the bottom left corner and cut it. Then measure 4 inches to the left from the bottom right corner. Mark that and then draw a straight line from that point to the top right corner and cut.

Then I used a belt sander to round all your edges and then polished them....will powder coat when I have time.

I will post mine below.

You can make your own out of aluminum for about $50.
Block off the front hole because the hull curves in and the aluminum won't sit flush.

Piece for inside the hull use 1/8th inch thick, 16 inches long, 1.5 inches tall.
Back piece that goes against the hull use 1/2 inch thick, 16 inches long, 1.5 inches tall.
For the actual sponson use 1/4 inch thick. You can make it any design you want.

For my sponson I took a piece 1/4 inch thick, 18 inches long, and 3.5 inches tall.
Measured 4 inches to the right from the top left corner and put a mark, then draw a straight line from that point to the bottom left corner and cut it. Then measure 4 inches to the left from the bottom right corner. Mark that and then draw a straight line from that point to the top right corner and cut.

Then I used a belt sander to round all your edges and then polished them....will powder coat when I have time.

I will post mine below.

IMG_0645.JPGIMG_0659.JPG

Wow looks good I hadn’t thought about making my own. So it’s two pieces then?
3 Pieces. Piece that goes inside the hull (1/8th inch), one on the outside (1/2 inch) and then the sponson (1/4 inch)

The piece that goes against the hull and the piece inside the hull are held on by 3 bolts that go through....so you will need to drill those 3 holes in the aluminum pieces.

Then you need to drill and tap 3 holes in the piece that goes against the hull on the outside. The sponson is held on by the 3 bolts as show that are drilled and tapped.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Yea it does so the bolts go thru the ski and nuts and washers on the inside of the hull? So what sheets of aluminum do I need 1/4” and 1/2”. I might try this out sometime I have lots time now still. Darn corona lol.

Yes that is correct. You need

Inside...1/8th inch thick, 1.5 inches tall, 16 inches long.

Outside is the same as inside except 1/2 inch thick.

Sponsons use 1/4 inch thick, 3 inches tall, and make it 20 inches long and you can draw out the shape you want it.

You could but I chose to do an 1/8th inch one the inside on both of my skis.

I have a local welding company that I use for my aluminum and they pre cut everything so all I have to do is smooth the edges.

I showed tyler how to make them. if you want a set we can make them. I can even powder coat them to what color you want. let me know if your serious. you would be around 150

I showed tyler how to make them. if you want a set we can make them. I can even powder coat them to what color you want. let me know if your serious. you would be around 150
Oh nice yes I don’t have anyway to cut that. Would they be pre drilled for my 98 XP LTD? I was thinking bright yellow to match the ski color.

Oh nice yes I don’t have anyway to cut that. Would they be pre drilled for my 98 XP LTD? I was thinking bright yellow to match the ski color.
yep you would just have to take the old ones off and install the new ones. i would make sure you had all new hard wear

yep you would just have to take the old ones off and install the new ones. i would make sure you had all new hard wear
Hmmmmm I might have to just get a set from you then. How do they perform over stock? Any pics ?
Do you do any for Yamaha stand ups ? I was looking at some thing for my 95 Yamaha FX1

Hmmmmm I might have to just get a set from you then. How do they perform over stock? Any pics ?
Do you do any for Yamaha stand ups ? I was looking at some thing for my 95 Yamaha FX1
You really wouldn't want sponsons like that on a standup. To get it to turn better look into tubbies.

We have them for all of our X4’s but I’m the first one in our group to make them for an XPL....I rode today to test my ski but was too rough to try any sharp turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back