98 Seadoo sportster 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seen a partial write up on dual 787's but not the 717's. You loose some safety features like the 3000RPM max in reverse and the neutral safety switch. Need 2 MPEMS either with the DESS or no DESS up to you but you need to wire up a 2nd post for the 2nd MPEM. If all of your electronics still work you just leave the OLD MPEM in there for that stuff or you can rewire everything but I would do the least amount I had 2. Usually just the engine part goes on those dual MPEMs. You will need the manual with the wiring harness map so you can figure it out.

Conversion was done on my boat by a mechanic and it was running, unfortunately it ended up having some starter issues later. The mechanic that did conversion was 60 miles away so I had local mechanic work on starter issues. He kept boat 10 months and kept promising it would be ready the next day but never followed thru.I had enough and picked it up mid July. The engine compartment wires are a mess. Both Mpem boxes are open some wires are connected and some arent. The original mechanic that did conversion is now legally blind and can not work on it. No one else in area has ever done a conversion and doesn't have time to go thru the wiring. I've traced some using 96 GTI wiring diagrams for new Mpems and diagram from my original Mpem. I know each engine has starter, solenoid, temperature sensor, but I figure lighting, accessories and oil and gas sensors , bilge pump, and blower for engine only need to go to one Mpem. Also, are there specific types of splice connections that need to be used? Several of the splices I've found are just wires twisted together. Would appreciate any tips. If I need to pay for information I'm willing. I was chewed out in another forum which I accidentally sent another pm message to a member asking questions on this problem and he was complaining about people wanting information for nothing. I was mislead when I read several threads and saw where people offered advice through out other member's projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
The splices just need to be water proof. They make connectors or you can use solder and liquid tape or use shrink tubing. I am not sure you would get many people to tackle that since someone doing it would have a lot of man hours and might not want to take the responsibility if it doesn't work. The hardest part is getting all right wires and marking them. The MPEMs should go in some other sort of box. I would try to get a box from the old jetboats since those are more universal to put the stuff in.

Each engine has a grey box with lid from jet skis, and the Mpems, starter solenoids, and cdi, (ignition coils) are mounted in them.

I have dabbed a little in wires, basically a little bit of splicing over the years with auto radios and speakers, and spliced some wires in my Jeep's door that had broken in door wiring harness, also starter solenoids on boat and lawn tractor. I also have a friend that is offered to help some. I'm not starting from scratch I guess but still need to make sure the wires that are attached and connected to Mpem are correct.

Personally if its an important splice I soilder and heat shrink, if you use crimps smother everything in dielectric grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back