98 seadoo speedster oil line replacement - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So I am taking some time to do a complete PM on both motors on my 98 speedster. I clean the RAVS and rebuilding the carbs. I replaced all the fuel lines and want to change out the small 1/8" oil lines. I see were they are connected to the intake area on the motor but can't find the location of the pumps. Is there any easy way to get to the oil pumps so I can replace the lines?

Thanks

That has a couple 720 engines... right? The pumps are under the carbs, and bolted to the manifold. You should be able to see them in the boat. Just take off the airboxes, and give yourself some room.

This boat has the 787 engines. I currently have the carbs off on both motors and see were the oil lines go to the engine but not from the oil pumps.

OK... so it's a big speedster. The oil pumps are on the mag cover. Front of the engine... facing the fuel tank.

Any easy way to get to the pumps so I can change the oil lines? Not much room inside that engine compartment to work

Nope... that's the fun of working on these things. Most of the time, you are hanging upside down.

So I only had a couple of minutes last night to look at the lines. The lines are for sure original as they still have the paint on them. I tested all four lines and they are still very soft feeling and look to be in good condition. I didn't climb around to see the location of the oil pumps yet but now questions weather or not I should change them out as they look to be in good condition

So... you are saying that you will trust 20 year old rubber, that has chemicals pumped through them their entire life? I wouldn't.

give them a good tug and twist. I'm guessing they will split right at the nipple.

If you are doing any work on this boat its best to just remove the hood. Trace around the hinge as undo the 6 screws on the boat side as pop the clips on the struts. I can remove my good on my speedster by my self. Use plenty of WD40. I don't hang upside down to work on my speedster.

The lines are simple to replace. Just remember to replace the oil filter, bleed the pump and prime the lines. You can put a few cap fills of oil in the cylinders and start the engine as manually activate the oil pump wide open while it's running watch the lines prime.

so I was able to get to the oil lines to change them out. What is the best way to go about filling the lines up with oil? I am not going to be able to reach the oil pump while the motor is running to hold the pump wide open to push the oil through the line. Any ideas

I used a brake vacuum pump to fill my lines up with oil before installing them. still had a couple small air bubbles but they when away quickly. Figured this out after trying other ways to prime them.

so I was able to get to the oil lines to change them out. What is the best way to go about filling the lines up with oil? I am not going to be able to reach the oil pump while the motor is running to hold the pump wide open to push the oil through the line. Any ideas

Assumming everything is hooked up, and the tank has oil....

1) Remove the bleed screws from the pumps, and let the line fill. (The screw is small, dont' break it putting it back in. and make sure the fiber washer is on it)

2) Pour an ounce of oil down each carb.

3) Start the engine, and hold the pump arm to "Full"

4) it should take 10 seconds or so, at idle... and you will see the oil pulse up to the manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back