98 gtx limited starter intermittently works

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Took it on the water today fixed a leak it had went out to see if it would run right and found it wouldn’t go past 15 mph it idles at what it thinks 3000 rpm and when at full throttle it Boggs but it thinks it gets to 7 8000 rpm. Any thoughts on what caused it

So the starting issues is fixed? As for the bogging down, did you rebuild the carbs with an OEM kit? Are there any gray fuel lines ?

All but one gray line and no I didn’t fix the starter problem I can still get it started and keep it running and runs fine at lower rpm just doesn’t start easily or like it should.

All but one gray line and no I didn’t fix the starter problem I can still get it started and keep it running and runs fine at lower rpm just doesn’t start easily or like it should.
To add on to that the carb has nothing to do with it’s starting capability it’s just the starter that’s not working right in that phase of things

To add on to that the carb has nothing to do with it’s starting capability it’s just the starter that’s not working right in that phase of things
I don't think the carbs have anything to do with the starting issues, the carbs are most likely the problem for your bogging down. Also, when in the water it should Idle around 1500, when it is not in the water it will be around 3000. I would recommend either verify that gray line is good (no green stuff inside it) or replace it, they have been know to break down inside and cause issues. If your carbs haven't been rebuilt in a while , I would suggest that, at the least, I would take them off and verify pop off, not leaking, and low and high speed adjusters are set to factory. The best thing would to rebuild them with OEM kit. The other thing you can check is to make sure you have no air getting in from the lines all the way back to the gas tank, Sometimes the gas selector valve can leak and so can the gas filter. Air will cause bogging and gets worse as the RPM rise.
I also don't think your starting issue is the starter, I think it is the wiring in the back box. IMO

I finally identified the area of the issue but have no idea what is causing it. Something in the mag case is drawing to much power or shorting out not sure which. I know it’s the mag case because when I unplugged it it turned over as it should normally but wouldn’t spark because that’s how it knows when to spark. I also think this could be the cause of rev limiting and way to high gauge rpm and not running right at high rpm.

There are resistance tests outlined in the shop manual for the connector on the Magneto case. You will probably need to open it up to fix what is wrong

There should be static tests (resistance measurements) listed in the Electrical section for the trigger coil in the Ignition subsection and for the Magneto coils in the Charging subsection

Back