98' GTX Limited has a hard time starting.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

slowboatn

When ever I go to start my ski, I have to crank and crank it to get it to start. Is there some check valve or something that isn't allowing fuel or something to get to the motor? I just rebuilt these carbs. The needles are set at the correct settings. Idle is a little low but even when the idle is higher it still doesn't want to start. I really would like to get this resolved before the next trip out. Maybe next weekend. Thanks.

same problem

I also have the same problem. It turns over fine but doesnt fire for the longest time. amazingly I dont wear the battery down. I have only had my 98 GTX about a month and will get it serviced soon for the winter and see if they shop can fix this problem. Once my gets going it runs great and re starts great for about a day IF I leave mine 3 days then its gets finicky

I also have the same problem. It turns over fine but doesnt fire for the longest time. amazingly I dont wear the battery down. I have only had my 98 GTX about a month and will get it serviced soon for the winter and see if they shop can fix this problem. Once my gets going it runs great and re starts great for about a day IF I leave mine 3 days then its gets finicky

Check compression, I would put money down you have low or uneven compression.

It runs fine once it gets started. That is deffinitly how mine acts. It didn't do this before I rebuilt the carbs. So I doubt it has bad compression.

when you rebuiilt them, did you replace the valves in the fuel upmp, also bend the tangs/ and-or replace the n/s springs? you can always install primer kit in place of the choke plates?

Odd that it didnt do it before the carbs. I would inspect to make sure the right parts are put back in there. And if you know they are, is your chokes working? As said above primer kits work nicely.

Ok let me see if I can answer your questions. Timmyboy first. I did not mess with the valves in the fuel pump. Where is it and what are they? What tangs? I did replace the springs for the needles. Came with the needles when I bought them. What is this primer kit? Where do I get it at?
Chokes seem to work. I pull out the stem on the steer handle bars. Crank it and it will slowly work it's way back down. I don't think that is right but have no idea how to repair it.
Ok. Primer kit. Who, what, how, where, when, why?

slow...if you got the factory n/s springs, re-install them. Just because the ones in the back are the same length/color...doesnt mean they're the same "gram" spring.

Primer kit, replaces the choke cable/plates. Couple pumps of the kit, and it injects fuel into carb...no need for vacuum of motor to pull gas thru. ebay for kits, around 25 buks.

On another forum someone mentioned the accelerator pump. I did have some problems getting it to work. Like it is clogged up or something. When I ordered the jets and needles, Bill O'Neal at Watercraft Magic sent me the springs with it. Supposedly was the stock springs. I'll have to ask him to be sure. I did try to start it up again last night. Same ole same ole.

if you pulled the carbs, then its almost second nature to inspect the xcellerator pump as well.

You run'n flame arrestors or stock box. Cant see reason for Bill's set-up, if run'n stock airbox though..

Flame arrestors. They were on when I bought it. He recommended I use his jet, needles, and springs. So I did. I did have a problem with stuff getting stuck in the deal that squirts gas into the carbs. Only on one. I got it cleaned out so I figured. Can I take the accelerator pump apart and clean it? Or do I just need to get a new one?

yeah, you can remove the xcellerator pump. Need them clear stud. Went thru mine on my boat, just for them to get all nasty with brown sticky/gooey sh**......go figure.

I took it out last weekend. I turned on the fuel to it and cranked it a bit and it started. Had to crank it a few times. Put it in the water and pulled a brain fart. Forgot the plugs. It started to sink. Luckly we were at the launch still. Got it on the trailer and managed to get the water out. It was a lot! Ran it all day. When we went from fishing spot to fishing spot it was a little hard to start. Not bad. Seeing as how it is getting cool here I may have to put it up for the year and do some work to it. I pulled a boo boo. I'll post about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back