98 GSX limited power problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsh1962

Premium Member
Premium Member
Greetings everyone. New member here.
I bought my first PWC from a front yard for sale sign. Seller demonstrated that it would start, but offered not much other info. When I got it home and started cleaning it up getting ready for the maiden voyage, I found the oil tank had been removed. Called the seller and was told to just run premix. Bought a new battery, filled the gas tank and added oil. Started it in the driveway to make sure everything was ok. Took it to the river and had about an hour of fun. Ran great. Got a little cocky and was doing donuts and tipped it, throwing me off. When I got back aboard, realized the key had come off my vest. Long story short, I was towed back to the ramp and made it home safely. Ordered three new keys from ebay and took it to my local dealer to have them programmed. Got a call from the dealer that they were unable to do the keys because there was no power "up front". Brought it home and started poking around. When the new keys are on the DESS post, there is no power to the gauges. Unplugged the DESS and there is power to the plug. Tested the DESS for continuity and it seems fine. Open w/o a key, circuit closed with a key.
Please help me out if you know what I should check next.
Thanks in advance.
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
If the oil tank has been removed you need to double check how the rotary valve is being lubricated.

^^^^ scratch what he said Rsh. There's no RV gear in a 951 motor. You'll want to inspect the mpem for blown fuses. If just being v tired, then there should be no harm to ebox/mpem...however, NEVER get towed over above idle speed. You'll flood your motor... Find another dealer to program keys

When you press your start/stop button without a key on the gauges should come alive for 33 seconds. If they do there is "power up front" and those keys should be able to be programmed.

A member here does a mail service where you send your MPEM and keys and he sends them back programmed. He goes by Minnetonka4me on here.

^^^^ scratch what he said Rsh. There's no RV gear in a 951 motor. You'll want to inspect the mpem for blown fuses. If just being v tired, then there should be no harm to ebox/mpem...however, NEVER get towed over above idle speed. You'll flood your motor... Find another dealer to program keys

My bad. Did not realize the 951 did not have RV.

Battery is fully charged. I have power to all three fuses on the MPEM board and all three fuses are good. Still no gauges when I press start or when key is on post.

I think I'm coming to the sad conclusion that the MPEM board is bad. Is there any way to check it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back