98 Challenger 1800 twin 787 WOT Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xyebo

Hello,
I recently had the problem with manifold leak on one of the two engines and got may be one third of the engines in the water. I immediately drained it and now when I repaired manifold I found that when I start the boat, it idles perfect on the both engines, but when I trying to accelerate on each/both engines it goes to 3500RPM, start shaking and trying to quit. Checked plugs and fuel filters, no problem. I really don't know what to think. What bothers me that both of engines have exact the same problem. Please, advise.
Thanks.

Check the ground connector going from the battery to the engine. Be sure it isn't loose or a bad connection. It is strange that both engines are doing the same thing. It has to be something that both have in common... like the battery wires or the ground wire. Be sure all connectors are clean and have a good connection too. Did the fuel get contaminated that feeds both engines?

Keep us posted.

Karl

Checked all electrical, same thing. The water level was really not so high. It didn't reached air intake. Doubt that gas was contaminated, but worth a try.
Again, each of the engines starts like a charm, idling perfect, goes to 3500rpm and start to quit.

could be coinsidence, but..you tried switch'n fuel selector, yet. Maybe something clogged in system, lead'n to carbs...

It has to be something that both have in common...Like the rev limiter... If it is stuck in the control levers, would do the same thing...both engines. It might not be related but it could be the problem. The limiter limits RPM's to 3500.

Karl

Thanks for your replies.
The fuel doesn't help much. The only thing I forgot to mention that I sprayed Bombardier lubricant over the place where carb membranes are. And I did it on both engines.
Before there was a stickiness in the membrane movement, but now both of them moving soft. Could it affect it?

The 3500 rev limiter comes on when the boat is in neutral (or when the neutral switch is stuck). The switch is under the F/N/R lever.

Thank you guys,
You were absolutely right about rev limiter. It was stuck. Now everything runs the same way as before.

I have see the same problem a thousand times with the rev limiter. I would remove the control handle and disassemble it and lube the heck out of it. I used to leave my Challenger's in either Forward or Reverse when it wasn't being used, so it wouldn't stick and cause it to be activated. The water seems to cause it to stick...go figure.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back